Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,112   Online: 843

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've thought about this too and like "traditional darkroom prints on traditional photographic materials" or something like that.

Silver gelatin sounds almost as pretentious to me as our digital nemesis(es? si?)brethren word "giclee" for ink-jet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Just say, made with a real camera and not a cell phone. That should rattle their brains enough.
    But RC prints are at the low end of the food chain as far as darkroom processes are concerned. So
    don't expect to impress anyone who is actually in the know.
    Come on Drew - I was just thinking last night, while washing and laying out fiber prints to dry, that I'll have to flatten this weekend, "self, tell me again why I bother with this? Modern RC papers are so good, this really isn't worth it. I think I just do it because a bunch of other traditionalists insist on it."

Anyone "in the know" will be impressed enough, or at least potentially so, that they're darkroom prints. The tiny percentage who know the difference in fiber and RC, and the even tinier percentage who will care, aren't much of a concern, especially in your sales venue.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Silver gelatin sounds almost as pretentious to me as our digital nemesis(es? si?)brethren word "giclee" for ink-jet.
    "Giclee" does sound very sophisticated. I wonder what "silver gelatin print" would be translated into French? "L'argent-gelatin"? If "giclee" can be used to describe an inkjet, surely silver gelatin could be translated into an exotic language to make it sound very cool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about:

"Traditionally and optically printed on a finest quality photographic paper coated with silver gelatin and processed in a darkroom with a bunch of trays full of chemicals for those who care, know the difference, and willing to pay for the privilege of owning the finest but not quite the finest because these are RC rather than FB in which case you really can't afford it"?

At the end, no one will care, and as long as they sell, probably you shouldn't either... (yeah, but we do... grrr....) It is becoming painfully aware to me, those things WE care so dearly, no one else does... and we probably do all these just to satisfy our own purpose.

grrrr.... (as I stress over the color of mat material....)
    grrrr.....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    How about:

"a bunch of trays full of chemicals"?
    Won't work. The first mention of trays full of chemicals and I will receive the comment, "yeah, and I guess you pour them down the sink." I have already received such a comment when I revealed to a "liberal" friend that I was doing darkroom work. She was clueless about the sorts of things that really do go down a sink. But I got a condescending remark about water supply pollution.

So I would suppress reference to chemicals. Maybe "images photographed on film, hand imaged, developed, and printed by a human being without the intervention of robots, on optically sensitive paper whose blacks and greys consist of precious metal."

I give up. I'll just make sure my pics are 50 cents less than the competition.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Silver gelatin print -- simple and to the point. Does not sound pretentious to me. At least not as much as rattling off how and where one made the print, or invoking 'traditional' methods and/or materials.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by
    ;1363632
    "Giclee" does sound very sophisticated. I wonder what "silver gelatin print" would be translated into French? "L'argent-gelatin"? If "giclee" can be used to describe an inkjet, surely silver gelatin could be translated into an exotic language to make it sound very cool.
    Check the note here about the French slang usage of the term giclée:
    http://french.about.com/od/vocabulary/g/giclee.htm
    I tend to avoid it when describing inkjet prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I vote for Silver gelatin print. That's what I use. I sometimes invites conversation from those that don't know what it means. Don't know if it sells photos, but it does cause interest.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about this:

"Silicon free photographs"

Once your customer asks you what you mean by "silicon free", you get to explain how you printed your work.
    Last edited by tkamiya; 07-05-2012 at 08:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin