Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,635   Online: 672

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Sorry to disagree but Silver Gelatin Fibre Prints is a very know product in my community.

A traditional darkroom could be any process and would not let people who actually want to know what process is being used to make the print.

Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I agree with kevin and jovo.

Most people won't know what "silver gelatin" means. "Darkroom Print" will make more sense. I typically call my stuff "printed in traditional darkroom using finest material available."

At the end of the day though, most people couldn't care less how your print was printed. FB, RC, inklet, or something else. They just don't know and don't care. "Pretty Picture" is what sells - especially in a mass market like that.

Few times, I stressed over archival processing and toning for permanence, used white gloves to prevent finger oil during handling, etc..... only to find out the recipient put it in a cheap frame with cardboard matting full of acid.

If you want to explain your print for your own reason, go ahead but it won't make a darn difference to people who will be buying them. Good luck though. It will be a fun experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Silver Gelatin" is common. I never really liked the "gelatin" part though, so I think if I ever had an exhibition I'd try to make it reall fancy just for fun, and call them "Silver Chlorobromide Prints" or some variation. That way they'd sound really technical and complicated. Although since there's no halide left in the finished print I guess it's false advertising. How about "Silver Selenide"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Sorry to disagree but Silver Gelatin Fibre Prints is a very know product in my community.

I think, then, your community is much better than the average communities in my area.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Getting back to the original question and intent of this thread....

I think it is important to evaluate the very purpose of setting up his products on the store shelves. I believe the purpose is to sell and make money. Educating the public is secondary. Differentiating one's product is only meaningful if it promotes sales in this context.

Vast majority of people who will pick up the product will not even read, know the difference, or care how the product was made. Being eye catchy is far more important than being technically correct. Harping on technical details and superiority of silver gelatin prints mean nothing to the audience if they don't care - even if it's true.

If I were doing this, I'll make a red shiny sticker that says "Printed by Hand" or "Real Photograph" to spark some curiosity. Then include a small piece of paper explaining what it is.

Just because we, the photographers and the enthusiasts care, doesn't mean at all, the general public that will be the target of OP's venture, will care. I think (myself included) we care way too much about the technical details of what we do. General public wants pretty pictures and wants it for as little money as possible.

Because of nature of his setup, collectors and enthusiasts won't be his customers.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin