Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,351   Online: 822

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear T.Kamiya,

I will look into making the stickers available as an item:

Dear Steve,

Sorry you feel 'short changed' and we are certainly not labelling RC as the poor relation of FB, nothing like it.

Dear Michel,

I have boundless admiration for KODAK, always have, and as for Tim Rudman, a true darkroom hero who's photographs stand proudly in our boardroom ( and in my home ).

But the sequence as described by our technical service is the one I will always recommend.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very cool, Simon. Thanks!

I'm going to put one on my car too!

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyS. View Post
    I've just found 18 stickers in a box of 50 sheets of MGIV FB. I think you are slightly over estimating my ability to make the final print
    Ha!!! =D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very cool! I believe it has been brought up before, but why not just putting a backprint on the paper?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    why not just putting a backprint on the paper?
    I sure hope not!!!!!!!!! I use Ilford MGIV to make paper negatives. Plus, I (and many others) drymount our prints so a back-print would not be visible.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Back printing is no longer an option that is available, we would not do it anyway. :

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is great, Simon! Thanks. The stickers were not in the packs of MGWT I purchased last week here in Canada, but no doubt that is older stock.

I had not heard of using Washaid to dilute Selenium. What is the benefit of this?
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Photographers/printers using this stamp have agreed to follow a strict archival processing sequence that will ensure your print has an extremely long life...

BIG can of worms, now open. Yes, I saw the disclaimer of liability.

I think developing more distinctive branding for silver products is a great idea. But I also think it's a mistake to base it on "archival" hype. Even when the recommended processing sequence is followed, there are no guarantees. Beyond that, the integrity of this branding is at the mercy of printer behavior and environmental conditions that are far beyond Harman's control. When someone shows up with a deteriorating print with the stamp on it, you will be placed in a very awkward position, regardless of any defensive hair-splitting based on the disclaimer.

It would be wonderful to call attention to the distinctive beauty that can be achieved with silver gelatin paper - which, alas, the wording associated with the stamp doesn't do. It's reasonable to point out that silver-on-fiber has a relatively favorable track record of stability when processed properly and stored appropriately. I don't think it's wise to offer what sounds like a guarantee, unless you are actually promising to replace deteriorated prints - which, of course, is not practical for you to do. I have great respect for those photographers selling prints who do offer such a guarantee. But when I see a photographer carrying on about how "archival" his/her prints are but without the necessary caveats, not only does it not give me extra confidence, it sets off alarm bells.

Sorry I can't be more enthusiastic.
    Last edited by Oren Grad; 07-06-2012 at 11:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    agree with oren grad,
    no such remote-guarantee can be given,
    and mentioning the unique qualities and character of fine crafted silver print in traditional way is at least as important as permanence of the print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I think developing more distinctive branding for silver products is a great idea. But I also think it's a mistake to base it on "archival" hype. Even when the recommended processing sequence is followed, there are no guarantees. Beyond that, the integrity of this branding is at the mercy of printer behavior and environmental conditions that are far beyond Harman's control.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic vic View Post
    agree with oren grad,
    no such remote-guarantee can be given,
    and mentioning the unique qualities and character of fine crafted silver print in traditional way is at least as important as permanence of the print.
    Yes, I've read the "guidance", but as the word says, it's "guidance", not a rule, and Harman isn't making any claims about archivability on the stickers, just offering and notifying a potential future owner a silver gelatin print another way to identify it as such... Just look at what the stickers really tell:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gelatin_larger.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	53514

Whatever the limitations, I still think this is a nice initiative.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin