Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,734   Online: 891

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can opener, can of worms, open ...

The web site to which the purchaser of a stickered print is led says: "...Prints made in the same way over 100 years ago are still in good condition today..."

Well, that pretty much excludes RC prints.

Even in FB, I don't know of a single 100 year old print that was made to Ilford's 'archival methods'.

Ah, well, "made in the same way" gives a whole lot of wiggle room. And anyway, we know what it means. We think. Or maybe it's best not to think on it too much.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Yes, I've read the "guidance", but as the word says, it's "guidance", not a rule, and Harman isn't making any claims about archivability on the stickers, just offering and notifying a potential future owner a silver gelatin print another way to identify it as such... Just look at what the stickers really tell:

Attachment 53514

Whatever the limitations, I still think this is a nice initiative.
    Agreed, though I can easily see this may prove to be a can of worms in the long run, we'll see, but I just want to be sure I understand what this is... it's a sticker that you are meant to place on the back of your finished prints? I've always been a little reluctant to put anything except my signature/title/date on the back written in pencil, and wonder if the sticker itself will prove to be damaging to the print's archival qualities?

I must say, I like the initiative, because I think there's a lot of confusion out there about papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder if we are going to have counterfeit Ilford paper stickers showing up in the future... Can Ilford make the sticker in a way it'll fail to adhere when stuck on something other than genuine Ilford FB paper? Better yet, it'll self-destruct taking the paper with it?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I am having a hand punch made to emboss and sign in the emboss.
    Probably- type of print,year printed, and my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    Agreed, though I can easily see this may prove to be a can of worms in the long run, we'll see, but I just want to be sure I understand what this is... it's a sticker that you are meant to place on the back of your finished prints? I've always been a little reluctant to put anything except my signature/title/date on the back written in pencil, and wonder if the sticker itself will prove to be damaging to the print's archival qualities?

I must say, I like the initiative, because I think there's a lot of confusion out there about papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sticker Directly on Print

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    but I just want to be sure I understand what this is... it's a sticker that you are meant to place on the back of your finished prints? I've always been a little reluctant to put anything except my signature/title/date on the back written in pencil, and wonder if the sticker itself will prove to be damaging to the print's archival qualities
    As someone who works in a frame shop (and a photographer who dry-mounts many of his own prints)...

I would NOT put that sticker on the back of the print itself. IN MY EXPERIENCE... most people who buy prints do so with the intent of having them framed and putting them on the wall. MANY want them dry-mounted so that they do not become wavy over time. Dry-mounting a print with a sticker on the back would be ugly.

We've had several customers come in with prints that had copyright stickers on the back and we couldn't mount them. In those cases the customer went back to the photographer and explained the situation, then got a new print... When the customers came back they said the photographers told them they had simply never thought of the issue and are now using stamps.

My suggestion would be to keep the sticker on the mat board, or better yet, on the crystal clear bag in which you're showing it.
    Last edited by Shawn Dougherty; 07-06-2012 at 03:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    Even in FB, I don't know of a single 100 year old print that was made to Ilford's 'archival methods'.
    Nor of any 100 year old prints made with the same paper stock and emulsions used to manufacture current Ilford FB papers.
    Last edited by Oren Grad; 07-06-2012 at 04:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I interpreted this initiative in a slightly different manner. To me, apart from providing a marketing approach for both Ilford and analog photographers, it's a (not so) subtle way of informing photographers to be very cautious of their process before making vaunted claims as to the quality or longevity of their prints. If you are going to affix this sticker anywhere near your prints, I would hope that your work stands behind your claim. Unless we are stupid enough to believe that the sticker itself will help us create higher quality work, I fail to see the down side.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes on APUG there is a tendency to overthink good things to the point of missing the sweet spot entirely...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Sometimes on APUG there is a tendency to overthink good things to the point of missing the sweet spot entirely...

Ken
    +100

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post

Ken
    Agreed. I like this move by Ilford, and look forward to the stickers. Just curious Simon, how many stickers per pack? One sticker per sheet? If so that's great cause we all know we may use a whole box of paper to make one finished print. And therefor the other stickers can go on previous work. I like the idea, though I would never stick to the back of my print, but rather on the mount, or back of frame or sleeve as Shawn mentioned.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin