Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,759   Posts: 1,484,007   Online: 1160

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Film check at O'hare

I am now in Florida for work now but wanted to say when I left O'hare field in Chicago I asked for a hand check on my 120 film(6 rolls) and I was VERY cheerfully oblidged by the security agents there! What's up with that? I always heard of horror stories when people requested that. What a pleasant surprise.
    "EVERY film and paper is good .......... for something"
    Phil Davis

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think they have been told to lay off photographers. I just returned from Nicaragua via Houston and was not hassled in either direction. Usually I get everything but a strip search! The group I was leading (17 people) expected some entertainment at the security gate given past antics, but they were disappointed. Thankfully!

I think they are getting better training in how to interpret the x-ray images as well.

Things were so bad last year I paid extra just to avoid the US when I was travelling.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

jss
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    for thanksgiving week i travelled from california to ohio and back. on both legs i asked for hand inspection and got no resistance at all. very surprised and pleased.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you are all lucky. On my way back from Phoenix I asked for a hand inspection and the guard said if your film is under 1600 speed we don't need to hand inspect it. I replied, well I'd really prefer if you could, it's only 4 rolls (4 rolls of 35mm HP5+). He sighed and said "y'know, you're really slowing us down on this busy day" I felt that I didn't need to respond to that, since I was now getting a hand inspection. This was the worst experience I've had. On my way back from Boston (earlier this year) the guards didn't mind hand inspecting my 20-30 rolls of 120, who knows. I think the Phoenix guard was maybe overwhelmed due to the holidays.
    -Grant

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I recall in Houston once that I had an un-sealed box of 4x5 with exposed negatives in it. The security guard had no problem with the sealed boxes (she just looked at them), and she even was willing to let me put the exposed negs in a changing bag where she opened the box and felt that there was just film in there. She closed everything up perfectly and I got them home and processed just fine. I was amazed that she did this. There will be a special place in heaven for her.

I know these folks are under-paid and have a tough job and I really appreciate the effort that they show.

-Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Tell them you intend on pushing it to 3200 !!! So hand check it! NOW!
    Money is not the problem. The problem is, I don't have any.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EricR
    I think they have been told to lay off photographers. I just returned from Nicaragua via Houston and was not hassled in either direction.
    I think they are getting better training in how to interpret the x-ray images as well.

Things were so bad last year I paid extra just to avoid the US when I was travelling.
    Eric,
    When you boarded in Calgary (I assume Calgary), did the inspectors allow hand inspection? I will be travelling to Regina from Mirabel in a couple of weeks and was wondering if I'll be hassled about hand inspection. Are there any precautions you can suggest?

Cheers,
    Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i have been getting film hand check for years, no problems. I put the film in a zip lock bag so it was easy to see . Always wait until they are not busy and just ask and no one has been ugly or refused.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My last trip wasn't too bad. I put the film in two little zip lock bags, one for each side pocket of the camera bag. I asked for hand check and they asked me what the film speed was. I told him I had a roll of 3200 (which I did! Just for that purpose! ) Only thing I didn't like was that he had to open every pouch of the 120s. Same thing on the way back, except one bag was used, one was unused. I also still had film in my Holga, so I had that hand checked also. Got lots of questions and weird looks on that one.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    Eric,
    When you boarded in Calgary (I assume Calgary), did the inspectors allow hand inspection? I will be travelling to Regina from Mirabel in a couple of weeks and was wondering if I'll be hassled about hand inspection. Are there any precautions you can suggest?

Cheers,
    Kent
    Some asked for hand inspections and there was no hassle. I wear army pants with large pockets and just put my LF or MF film in my pockets. Since there is nothing to set off the detectors there is no inspection. On the odd occasion when they have objected to my drooping pockets I just run it thru the machine. The film I use is never over 400 asa and I have never had any fogged even after multiple x-ray inspections.

Naturally the pocket thing doesn't work with 35mm film due to the metal canisters. If you have cameras that require batteries to operate, just make sure you have a fresh set in the camera as they may ask you to turn it on.

In Canada I find the smaller airports are stickier than the big ones. Maybe due to the fact they don't get the same level of training or are just bored and your providing them with much needed entertainment.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin