Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,389   Online: 655

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Soft Focus Enlaring Lens!

So - a couple of weeks ago, I was working with another photographer shooting portrait type of stuff. The attached image was shot with a 360 G Claron and is pretty sharp. When shooting this image, I was wanting to do it soft focus. However, certain issues required me to only shoot sharp with the G Claron.

I like the image sharp, however, this little voice in my head kept calling out "soft focus" to me. So, the thought occurred to me why couldn't I use one of my soft focus type of lenses on the enlarger instead of my usual enlarger lens.

I set up the 8 x 10 enlarger and put on the Eidoscope - couldn't get it to focus. Got out my little (half of a projection petzval) 10" soft lens that I shoot a lot with. It has no iris and is about F4 5 or so. It produces a sort of soft look in the center of the image and gets fuzzy pretty quickly out to the corners. This lens is actually from an Ilex projection lens. Surprize - using it as an enlarger lens is sort of what it is designed for anyway as used in a projector.

It worked beautifully and gave me the exact look I was aiming for. One added very unexpected feature - the image perimeter was a little smaller than the easel blades and the result was this very strange extremely soft edge treatment to the image.

I may try this more often.

This image is a lith print on Emaks K 888 grade 2 paper with Arista Lith Developer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails final 1 soft lithas.jpg  
    Dan's website: www.dandozer.com

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    Looks great! Depending on the effect you're going for a soft-focus lens/filter on the enlarger can be just the thing. The only disadvantage is that when it's done in camera the affect appears around the highlights, but when done with the enlarger it occurs around the shadows. Sometimes it can look a little depressing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes. In diffusion it's the light that always bleeds outward and produces denser surrounding areas on the sensitive medium, regardless of how the diffusion is achieved.

For negatives in a camera that means highlights (denser areas on the negative) bleeding out into the shadows (less dense areas on the negative).

For positives under an enlarger that means shadows (denser areas on the print) bleeding out into the highlights (less dense areas on the print).

These are two decidedly different visual and emotional effects. Neither is always right or wrong. They're just different.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the print is fantastic. You should do more of them.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I use a Pictrol under the enlarger lens for this.. wonderful little device that you can adjust the softness, they were made for in front of a lens, I used them on a hasselblad back when I was doing weddings in the late 70's.
    I think you can buy them from B& H or Freestyle for not much $$

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow blown away. Beats the black netting under the enlarger lens. Looks Pictorial.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice I like it:-)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Not many people realize it, but there were actually petzval enlarging lenses. I've only ever seen two, so I doubt they were big sellers. I have one made by Fallowfield and saw another one on Ebay that, I think, was a Lancaster.

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That looks amazing. I love it!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin