Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,844   Posts: 1,582,666   Online: 1083

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Cheapest and highest quality film is Kodak 5222 , short end bw movie film. But I dont know its ASA setting.
    Jnanian and many others uses 400 ASA film at 50 ASA setting without problem. Short end movie film costs half an dollar , may be 1 dollar per 36 35mm roll , comes from Hollywood as much as you want and damn quality. Processing and everything is the same with 10 times more expensive films.
    If you are interested in , search ''short cut movie film or short end movie film'' They will find you if you whisper to your computer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eastman 5222 when used as a motion picture film and developed in D-96 has a low Contrast Index and a speed of ISO 250. Most people using it as a still film rate it at 400 and use a conventional developer like D-76, HC-110 or Rodinal and a higher CI. If you do portraits you may prefer the lower CI.

You may still be able to get short ends of Eastman Plus-X 5231 but Kodak sadly discontinued manufacture a couple of years ago. They also made a Pan-X MP film at one time. Both 5222 and 5231 are very nice films.

Kodak designates its motion picturre film as Eastman rather than Kodak to avoid confusion with still films of the same name.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-08-2012 at 05:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    FP4

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I know you said available in the US --- Polypan F has to be acquired from the EU, but is so cheap you could buy a lot of it and freeze it. I shot some at 50 ASA a couple of weeks ago, and frankly I think I could easily have gotten away with 100 ASA. I am very impressed with this insanely cheap film based on my initial experience. I don't think I paid more than $50 for a 400ft roll, delivered.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Indeed you can still order Eastman double x from Kodak. 400-1000ft minimum. I'm working through 1000ft of it. Its very nice at 200 in rodinal stand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford has demonstrated commitment to the medium, high quality, and good prices. I think they're the only company left with a complete range of film types, speeds, and sizes. Both FP4+ at ISO 125 and Pan F+ at ISO 50 are fantastic. I've been using them on and off for ten years now, and since Kodak killed Plus-X they are my only slow films.

BTW, once you get bulk loading down to a science, Ilford film in bulk becomes more economical. If you reload once used, empty color film cassettes from the one hour labs, you don't have to buy the snap cassettes anymore. Just tape the new film onto the stub of old film and rewind. I have spooled hundreds of feet of film this way and saved. If you do it right you won't get scratches or fogging, and the factory cassettes are more robust than the kind that snap or screw apart. I open them with an old style can opener and toss 'em after one loading to always have a fresh felt light trap.
    Last edited by Aristotle80; 07-08-2012 at 10:31 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: on cheap bulk loading

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I prefer Pan F+ at ISO 25 and processed in Perceptol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    Why?
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    I do something similar as I find PanF+ too contrasty at box speed. I use D-23 !+1.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am starting to favor Ilford films as it sounds they will be in business or industry longer than Kodak and Fuji, Acros is my favorite 100ASA film and TMAX400 is my favorite in 400, so if those two are gone too then i will be left to use Ilford films, many of you will have different favs of films and to each his own, HP5+ became second fav after TMAX400, so i will try to make Pan F+ and FP4+ as my favorite films in ISO 50-200 range.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin