Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,549,018   Online: 888

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    The last man standing in black and white is likely to be Ilford. That leads to a recommendation of Pan-F Plus, FP4 Plus and Delta 100. I like all three but use FP4 the most out of the three.

Acros 100 is probably the finest quality black and white film available. I expect Fuji will be in the film business for awhile yet.

As for Kodak, I sure hope they survive but I have my doubts. Now that Plus-X is gone, T-Max 100 is the only film Kodak sells that fits your requirements unless you choose to do pull processing of a faster, grainier emulsion.
    Yesterday i have checked my fridge to see what films are there left waiting, amazed that FP4+ and TMAX100/400 also some Pan F+ are the most B&W films available in my fridge all 120, i have few of Deltas, Acros which is my favorite, HP5+,...etc.

I am planning to increase HP5+ and decreasing Deltas, so i will have 3 films from Ilford and 3 from Kodak and only 1 from Fuji Neopan, i still have 2 Neopan 400 but i will play with that in the future when i have things to shoot very seriously.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am a big fan of the Adox CHS films - 25, 50 and 100 ISO are available. They are available from Freestyle in the USA according to Adox's web site.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The recommendations for using a bulk loader and load your own film cassettes is a great recommendation. You can use a film that is a fair bit more expensive at nearly half the price! What's not to like?

I'm definitely going that route once I'm done with my current stash of Tri-X. Bulk loading is a great way to save real dollars in your process. While film isn't the most expensive thing in photography, a hundred rolls at $2.50 versus $5.00 makes a really big difference in my wallet. That's almost two car payments, or groceries for two months.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    I am looking for suggestion for a 35mm film between ISO 50-125 that I can standardise my process on.

I do mostly portraits with this speed and and looking for something that is reasonably cheap, with good shadows and has good USA availability for the foreseeable future.

Previously I standardized on Arista Premium 100, developed in Tanol. However now that kodak no longer manufactures Plus-X it seem this combination is gone.

Before that my winning combination was Lucky SHD 100 NEW with D-76. I had a boatload of the stuff and had a really good run with it. However I don't want to buy it from China.

Ilford FP4 is a film I really like but it is expensive at the time being. I am not a pro and only photograph for my own private enjoyment. I use it in 120 format for special projects.

I tried FOMAPAN and did not like it. I am now looking into Fuji Acros, or one of the ADOX products. Neither is as cheap as I would like but I tend pull process so I need something with good shadow texture.

The two developer I use now is Rodinal (R09) and Moresch Tanol, mostly because of good shelf life. If you guys know a film that will work good with those two it would be ideal.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree bulk loading is good. Get yourself a couple of bulk loaders and label and mark each with type of film, load date, and rolls loaded from each. You can then switch between a variety of speed films without too much hassle of buying a ton of cassettes.

If you can, and dont mind the monotony, load 100ft at once, label, and bag the cassettes for freezer/fridge storage, and all you need is one bulk loader. This is good if you use film discards from c41 processors such as drug stores.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also acros 100 in 120 format is back in stores. going to drop by adorama and pick up a brick sometime next week after work. $3.20 a roll, not bad at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Also acros 100 in 120 format is back in stores. going to drop by adorama and pick up a brick sometime next week after work. $3.20 a roll, not bad at all.
    The problem with Acros 100 is that it is back in stock for very short like 1-2 days then back out of stock
    For me, i need 1 week when things are in stock to order, because i put money in my card only when i want to order something and that is taking 1 day to have the money in the card, and i see the things in stock late, so many times i come late to order things and suddenly they are out of stock when i am ready, last week Acros was in stock for 1 day and then again ran out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    B&H is currently showing all roll film sizes of Acros in stock. They usually get a large amount, so it should be there for a while.

www.bhphotovideo.com

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin