Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,923   Posts: 1,522,103   Online: 789

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Iso 50-125 speed film with a future?

I am looking for suggestion for a 35mm film between ISO 50-125 that I can standardise my process on.

I do mostly portraits with this speed and and looking for something that is reasonably cheap, with good shadows and has good USA availability for the foreseeable future.

Previously I standardized on Arista Premium 100, developed in Tanol. However now that kodak no longer manufactures Plus-X it seem this combination is gone.

Before that my winning combination was Lucky SHD 100 NEW with D-76. I had a boatload of the stuff and had a really good run with it. However I don't want to buy it from China.

Ilford FP4 is a film I really like but it is expensive at the time being. I am not a pro and only photograph for my own private enjoyment. I use it in 120 format for special projects.

I tried FOMAPAN and did not like it. I am now looking into Fuji Acros, or one of the ADOX products. Neither is as cheap as I would like but I tend pull process so I need something with good shadow texture.

The two developer I use now is Rodinal (R09) and Moresch Tanol, mostly because of good shelf life. If you guys know a film that will work good with those two it would be ideal.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak T-max 100 pulled to 64 ISO gives beautiful results, EFKE 50 is not bad either really gives an old time look in Tanol.

Dominik

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How about Kentmere 100? It´s said to be really close to FP4+. I have no own experience with it myself though...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Acros not cheap? It is the cheapest 120 premium-brand (Fuji/Kodak/Ilford) film and it is excellent; probably my favourite B&W film. I would expect it to have more future than a Kodak offering considering the Chapter 11 happenings. I would expect Ilford to have the best chance at long-term availability (since Fujifilm are infamously opaque and fickle), I just never really got into the Ilford offerings much except for Pan-F.

Acros is great at 50 in Rodinal, or at 100-160 in Xtol.
    Last edited by polyglot; 07-08-2012 at 05:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you like FP4+, but find it too expensive to shoot in 35mm, buy it in 100 foot bulk rolls, and that should cut the price in half, plus you can roll short rolls, if that is useful to you. You can find second hand bulk film loaders on eBay for cheap. Get yourself about 20 new snap-cap cartridges, some masking tape, and you're good to go.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    FP4+ is beautiful.

How about hand loading?

FP4+ is $48 for 100 feet at Adorama today. That is the equivalent of 20 36exp rolls at $2.40 each.

There are some up front costs: dark bag, loader, cassettes, masking tape, scissors, and a marker; but they are not expensive and mostly one-time expenses.

The other cool thing is that hand rolling allows is any size roll you please. 20-shot rolls work nicely for me.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    If you like FP4+, but find it too expensive to shoot in 35mm, buy it in 100 foot bulk rolls, and that should cut the price in half, plus you can roll short rolls, if that is useful to you. You can find second hand bulk film loaders on eBay for cheap. Get yourself about 20 new snap-cap cartridges, some masking tape, and you're good to go.
    Great minds think alike!
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Vn..00 0 ..,
    "There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs" (Ansel Adams)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I roll my own fp4+ as well. Expired is even cheaper. I also shoot lots of tmax 100, its very good as well.

You can also go for polypan f, that's really cheap as well and comes in 150ft rolls. I haven't used it though as I've always had stock in lots of slow and medium speed films.

Also someone mentioned Acros is cheapest now for 100 speed 120, but its out of stock/back ordered everywhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Acros. It's cheap.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin