Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,542   Posts: 1,544,398   Online: 1003

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Placing a small Formulary order, anything that I "need" that I am forgetting?

I am into cold tones in my prints, I am about to sumbit an order w Formulary for some hand mixed gold toner and since I order from Formulary not too often, is there anything that you all typically have in your DR that I "need". I already have BZT which helps make my paper dev even colder. I am not really into warm toners and their supplies (bleach/sepia, etc) or interested in any scratch mixing of dev (paper/film), fixer, stop, HCL; as I have all that on hand.

Pretty new here setting up a DR and wonder if there is any "milk" or "butter" or “eye of newt” that you all typically have on hand that Formulary stocks that I shd consider grabbing while filling an order?

I am thinking of getting the below, (I already have gold chloride on hand and some of that residual hypo tester and acetic acid):

Sodium Chloride (10-1200 100 g) $4.50 $4.50
    Tartaric Acid (10-1460 100 g) $9.95 $9.95
    Sodium Sulfate (10-1320 100 g) $4.95 $4.95
    Thiourea (Thiocarbamide)* (§) (10-1470 100 g) $5.95 $5.95

I am going to get supplies to make the two common types of gold toners (Clerc's and Kodak T26), they just differ in the sodium sulfate vs sodium chloride, but are similar:

Clerc’s:
    http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Vandyke/vandyke.html

Kodak T-26:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...bs/g23/g23.pdf
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andy, Although you're not into warm toned prints, I'd suggest getting a sepia kit, too. Sepia, followed by gold can give you tones from a deep orange to a subtle peach. It's a great technique to have in your arsenal...
    Here are a few using that combination:
    http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...imageuser=7387

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks Eddie, I do have a few packs of Kodak Sepia II warm toner on hand, after I get through my "blue" period I plan to try the gold/sepia fun!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your post points out why I never buy anything from PF. You can get 4 oz (120 g) of tartaric acid from www.chemistrystore.com for $2.59 and 8 oz for $4.95 plus shipping.

For sodium chloride use pickling salt which is very cheap.

The common name for sodium sulfate is Glauber's salt. You may be able to get it thru a pharmacy or a feed store. It is used as a laxative for humans and animals.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-08-2012 at 07:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just use Kosher salt for my NaCl. Seems fine. If you ever want to do some sort of re-development toning like thiocarbimide, all you'd need it potassium ferricyanide and potassium bromide....the NaOH is available at the hardware store as drain cleaner.....not exactly analytical grade, but it seems to work. I usually order from Bostick and Sullivan or Artcraft Chemical.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks Gerald for the link, looks like Thiourea isn't carried there, so in this instance it makes little sense to break up my order.

Thanks Mark for the tips re the over counter versions. Thankfully I do have pot. ferri and pot. bromide on hand. Thanks for looking out for me. Nothing more annoying than placing a chem order and forgetting a $5 item!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I forgot to include this other company from which I purchase developing agents. They are more specific for photo chemicals but The Chemistry Store is usually cheaper if they stock a particular chemical so I always check there first. Try www.techcheminc.com they carry thiourea and sodium sulfate.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin