Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,055   Online: 835

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I only use what is required for the tank full and pour it back into the 1L storage bottle after.It may be similar to Xtol which IIRC requires only 150ml to develop a film so a tank full is plenty.
    The special tech tip says it can be re-used 12 times but does not say if the time should be increased:
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/70022-...oper-to-make-1
    With Xtol the time is increased after 5 rolls,see time compensation table:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe.../j109/j109.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Alan. My Paterson tank requires 600ml of chemicals for 1 roll of 120, and around 350ml for a roll of 135. So I was wondering if mixing up a whole liter of Excel and then pouring all of it into the tank is practical or would it be better if I were to use only a portion of it. Anyway, I presume you're using Excel as stock and not diluted?

Yes, I noted the special tech tip from Freestyle. I'd guess a 10% dev time increase for each subsequent roll of film is pretty reasonable and safe.

Do let us know how you get on with your Excel. IIRC, Excel and Xtol won't turn brown or discolor once it's exhausted. I may be wrong.

I use Excel stock solution.
    During the development bromide from the film is released into the developer solution and this inhibits development.It does much more so with metol based developers eg D-76 than phenidone (or presumeably dimezone-s) based ones eg Xtol,Fomadon Excel.So there is no need for much time increase with Xtol and Excel.In absence of the guy who formulated Excel it does not seem possible to get a definitive answer how much time increase so I will just guess its the same as Xtol, ie, 15% after 5 rolls.
    I did not do this but may try it later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting. You're correct, I think. 15% after 5 rolls it is then. I'm curious how many developed rolls you can get out of that 1L stock solution. Do let us know.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Im using Fomadon Excel now and find it to be a very good developer, smooth, very sharp and fine grain. I use it in Jobo Exoert drum with TMY-2 (Tmax 400) sheet film, dilution 1:2, 21 C and 8.30 min for normal development. I can also highly recommend Foma baryt papers as well, they are really beautiful...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just splurged a good portion of my monthly student allowance this month to get a Mamiya C220 from a fellow APUG-er. There goes my money for films and chemicals. Oh well, next month it is then. See ya then, Freestyle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh and wiggywag, thanks for your input on Excel! Is 1:2 an Xtol dilution, or is it totally new? Any other dilutions for Excel besides 1:2 and stock?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dont know it it of any interest, but I developed my first 4x5 negative in excel only a couple of days ago.
    You can see the first image here : http://taulen.org/diverse/viewgraphic/first_images/ The one named "utsnitt" is a 100% crop from the negative scanned at 3200dpi on a epson v600 and then resized abit to get the size down.
    Alot of dust as you can see, but thats not the negative nor the developers fault :P
    And btw the film is fomapan 100 also from foma, of course.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by altair View Post
    Oh and wiggywag, thanks for your input on Excel! Is 1:2 an Xtol dilution, or is it totally new? Any other dilutions for Excel besides 1:2 and stock?
    It is a X-tol dilution. X-tol and Excel is very similar. I found a german kodak technical document which gave me starting point for testing with 1:2 dilution. Somehow a higher dilution than normal is often recommended with constant agitation as with a Jobo processor.

You can find a lot of info here:
    http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/xtol/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    taulen: Thanks for that, I'm waiting for your image to load right now. From what I can see right now, the photo is a bit contrasty, isn't it? At least on mys creen it is. I'd like a bit more midtones. That's personal taste, of course. Nevertheless, the details are amazign! What 4x5 setup did you use?

wiggywag: Ah, I see..so do you think that for normal processing in a tank (Paterson, agitation by hand), 1:1 or stock is preferable?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin