Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,763   Online: 1071

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by altair View Post
    wiggywag: Ah, I see..so do you think that for normal processing in a tank (Paterson, agitation by hand), 1:1 or stock is preferable?
    It depends on the results you want. A higher dilution increase edge sharpness but also a slight increase of grain. If you use sheet film (where grain is hardly an issue) you will maybe prefer a higher dilution even if you use a normal tank for development.
    Last edited by wiggywag; 07-29-2010 at 07:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Grain is fine by me. And a higher dilution is always good as then I only need a smaller quantity of chemicals. The problem is dev time. How do I come up with times for uncommon dilutions?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Check this german document, it contains development times for X-tol (similar to Excel) with different dilutions. Other dilutions is not published anymore in english:
    http://wwwfr.kodak.com/AT/plugins/ac...Entwickler.pdf
    read down the page here as well:
    http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/xtol/

I made 3 negs of same subject under normal light condition and developed with times from the chart as a starting point and then did some small adjustment until the negative was perfect, making it printable as a normal grade 2 image.
    Last edited by wiggywag; 07-30-2010 at 09:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Very close to each other. Only the densito meter shows some small differences. Further slightly more grain with Excel W27 but this is in the margin.

In Europe: Xtol (5 Ltr.) : Eur. 10,- , Excel (1 Ltr.) 2,50 but sometimes for 35mm a 1 Liter package can be more practical. Same short shelf life 4 months - 6 months and heavily depending of the quality of the water. Therefore demi - or destilled water adviced.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    wiggywag: Thanks for the links, you've very helpful

RobertV: Thanks for the photo and advice, Robert. Of course, I use nothing but distilled or reverse-osmosis water to mix my chemicals..who knows what's floating around in my tap water. But damn, 10 Euros for 5 L of XTOL is cheap!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin