Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,487   Posts: 1,571,308   Online: 732

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Fomadon Excel (W27) film developer

Hello,

does anyone have experience with that film developer and Kodak HIE or any other film?
    It should be very similar to Xtol but does it also give the same results and are the dev. times the same?

Thanks

Stefan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a look at: wwwfoma.cz There's an English page too.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I wonder about the same, anyone with experience?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yes I tried it. It's said to be a clone of Xtol, but my experience taught me that they differ. Results are grainier with excel than xtol. Don't know why.
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry to revive an old thread..but I'm about to order this developer from Freestyle. Is it any good? Am I better off with something else?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by altair View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread..but I'm about to order this developer from Freestyle. Is it any good? Am I better off with something else?
    Let's get the facts... Fomadon Excel is a Kodak Xtol clone. It costs $3.99 for 1 litre, while Xtol costs $9.19 for 5 litres.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm, it would seem that Xtol is cheaper than Excel. But I thought Xtol is no longer available commercially? Have you tried using Excel Anon?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by altair View Post
    Hmm, it would seem that Xtol is cheaper than Excel. But I thought Xtol is no longer available commercially? Have you tried using Excel Anon?
    Xtol is certainly cheaper, on a per litre basis.

Xtol is still in production; the only recent change is that they dropped the 50l package. Not exactly something that a hobbyist - enthusiast would buy.

No I haven't used Fomadon Excel, Foma products aren't available in Greece either. Xtol on the other hand is a nice developer, just make sure you mix it with distilled or deionised water. It's rather sensitive to water impurities, especially iron content and it's useful life can suffer in the long run.

Posted wirelessly..

I have been trying it ,it contains sulfite and the measured pH is very close to Xtol.So far I have reused the same 1L nine times with the same development time but think the negatives are getting thinner than when I started.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anon: Thanks for the info. No problems there about mixing it with distilled water, I do that with my chemicals...either distilled or reverse osmosis water.

Alan: Thanks for the feedback Alan! It's good to know Excel can be reused..at least 9 times. I normally reuse the batch of developer that I've made (normally just 600ml) up to 6-7 times..or until the color is 'off'. One question: Do you pour in the whole 1L of the Excel working solution that you've made into your developing tank? I don't think my tank will take 1L.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin