Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,243   Online: 915

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have sometimes has problems with condensation while working during the winter. The effects are fairly unpredictable - from none to unusable film - and I have seen something like your example on at least one occasion. The best way (not perfect) I have found to avoid it is to keep film and film holders in pretty close fitting sealed plastic bags. I also try to leave the camera and film out in the cold if it is secure and I'm not going far.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I will check adash. I don't think it's the major problem as the Nikkor SW has the latest coatings and the glass is pristine.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    OK, after considering all the thoughts and advice, I'm taking this problem to be condensation on the inner lens elements. So the fix I'll try is to keep the lens triple-ziplock-bagged with desicant and lens in the inner bag. I'll let the whole thing stand for 20-30 minutes in the cold room before removing the lens and attaching to the camera.

I'll be shooting several cold rooms in the next 2 weeks. I'll post my findings.

Thanks to all for your great suggestions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "If a lens is to get condensation, it would happen all over the exposed glass surface, so you're probably looking at a flare or internal reflection artifact." Initially this is correct, BUT as a lens warms it clears the condensation from the outer parts to the inner parts of the lens. Several times I've had a LF lens look clear but still have condensation on the inner most elements even after 10-15 min of adjustment time. The inner most elements of a LG WA are the most subject to problems as they are the smallest diameter elements that all of the light has to pass thru. You might also look for dust, smudges, crap on or around the inner most elements.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have you considered paranormal phenomenon?

No but seriously, could this be due to pulling dark slide out too quickly - a static electricity discharge?

Also, how about a hole in bellows?
    Last edited by Andre Noble; 07-31-2012 at 10:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Regarding condensation, I've actually tested this by putting my lens in the fridge for a minute or so! There was condensation build up and it cleared from the edges to the center area so consistent with the condensation hypothesis. I brought the lens in to my tech last week and he could not see any problem with the glass at all. In fact, he marveled at how pristine the elements are.

The other possibility is a pinhole in the bellows as Andre suggests. I use a bag bellows exclusively with both my 90mm and 75mm. I've never had this problem with the 90mm. The shorter compression for the 75mm would seem to suggest that a pinhole is less likely the problem. I'm assuming that extending the bellows would be more likely to open up any pinhole. Static charge is possible, but again this only happens with the 75mm...

I'll check the bellows for pinholes tomorrow morning when I'm more awake....

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin