Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,670   Posts: 1,481,773   Online: 1036

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm still working on my first 400' can of it but I really like it. I shoot it at EI 250 and develop it in D-76 1:1 for now. Results are good - very printable. I have no issues with contrast.

I need to start experimenting with it in PMK - I have a feeling it will work very well in pyrogallol. I just haven't found the time yet.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I find Double-X to be a tad on the grainy side but very nice tones. I too find it develops very dense negatives when shooting at 250 and developing according to the massive dev chart, so I switched to metering it at 400 to compensate a bit. I haven't tried it with a bunch of different developers but that's definitely on my list when I get some time.

I submitted a suggestion to Kodak on their cinema website that they sell it online in 100' rolls and pointed out that ORWO is doing this already. Never heard back, and haven't seen it show up in 100' rolls yet. I sold off some of my excess Double-X a while back and even after trying to compensate for my costs of materials to get it into 100' bags and cans (thus making it far more expensive per foot than just ordering a 400' can from Kodak) I ran out of spare film long before I ran out of people willing to buy it from me. I think Kodak should definitely reconsider not offering it in 100' rolls. Those could be used by both filmmakers (in Eyemo cameras, etc.) and still photographers.

Here are the links to the ORWO products (one slower, one faster than the official ISO of Double-X)

http://www.orwona.com/orwo-n74-plus-...0-35mm-100-ft/

http://www.orwona.com/orwo-un54-univ...sa-35mm-400ft/

Interestingly they are currently sold out of both of those in 100' lengths. Sounds like a market with some demand, to me!

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Hello again and I am happy one of my posts is useful.

Movie films ... What can I say more , do you think a director invests 250 million dollars to a movie leaves his movie to a chance ? Movie films might be most heavily researched films on earth. If it is good for Cinema , it must be good for your photography , thats basic.

There are too many old timers used these films and post their positive opinions somewhere lost in the 1 million posts.

My neighbor is a military aerial photographer and he had been used movie films many years ago. He says , sometimes, some indian attacking the white guys shots comes off from the developer

If you are lucky , you can learn from a couple indian moves , we call it kamasutra , google it

6 dollar for tri x , 7 dollar for cigarette or you select the best tobacco and buy it from some folks and your roll cost 50 cent. Same happens at film business.

Intelligent people makes intelligent moves and protects their families money.

Umut
    Salam,

How do you compare with Orwo UN54? Here, they are selling 100f roll for EUR 30.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Agfa Isolette III: Amazingly simple, yet it produces outstanding negatives.
    Holga 120GFN: EV 11 or EV 12.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is ordering direct from Kodak the best way to obtain Eastman Double X? I'd like to give it a try. 400 feet is more than "a try" but what the heck.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    Is ordering direct from Kodak the best way to obtain Eastman Double X? I'd like to give it a try. 400 feet is more than "a try" but what the heck.
    Yes, absolutely. Quick easy, fresh from the manufacturer. For those in the US here is the link:

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsu...oryID.55766300

400' is $154.84 as of this writing.

If you're not in the US, just call your country's main number for Kodak. They should ship it to anyone, it's just easier in the US over the internet.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the link, Duncan.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Glenn ,

Thank you sharing very critical information , this will work for all others and myself.

First picture is the greatest one , I prefer the microdol 1+1. First picture tones have excellent dark grey space and is the best . What was your lens for that picture ?

Umut
    Umut,
    The first three pictures were shot with a Voigtlander 15mm M-mount lens. The redwood was scanned as a color slide and inverted to capture as much shadow detail as possible. The sepia tone is a side-effect.

Glenn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    I find Double-X to be a tad on the grainy side but very nice tones. I too find it develops very dense negatives when shooting at 250 and developing according to the massive dev chart, so I switched to metering it at 400 to compensate a bit. I haven't tried it with a bunch of different developers but that's definitely on my list when I get some time.
    Actuallly if you look at Kodak's published diffuse RMS granularity values for Double-X and Tri-X Professional, the Double-X is finer grained RMS granularity 14 (very fine) vs 16 (fine).

I shoot it at an EI of 400 and develop it in either Rodinal or HC-110 (my preferred developer) diluted 1+49 at 21 C. Times are 7.5 min and 8.5 min respectively. It is imporatant not to overexpose films as granularity will suffer.

Beautiful film!
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-10-2012 at 11:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Duncan
    $.045/shot!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, absolutely. Quick easy, fresh from the manufacturer. For those in the US here is the link:

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsu...oryID.55766300

If you're not in the US, just call your country's main number for Kodak. They should ship it to anyone, it's just easier in the US over the internet.

Duncan

Hoffy,

I have purchased a lot of 16mm film from the US website. My brother orders it, and then on ships it to me. KodakFrom past orders of 2x 400' cans of 16mm the postage is US$25 USPS airmail.

If you are interested in trying some I'd go halves with you on a 400' can.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin