Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,083   Online: 913

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino
    As I understand it, stop baths are
    generally just acetic acid and water.
    Don't forget the water. After all acid stops generally have 49 parts
    water to one part acid. A short acid stop serves to give film or paper
    an overall acidity which it needs to maintain the acidity of an acid fix.

Now days with hardener incorporated emulsions I've doubts of any
    need to maintain the acidity of an acid fix.

By dilution water only "stops" quickly. Water only will inactivate
    developer in the emulsion as the ph drops towards neutral. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino
    So it can be used more than once? The one I use now (Ilford) says not to do that, and I sure hate to pitch something if I can get another $.12 out of it. =)
    Yes, you can use it 'til it stops working. I'm talking about Kodak indicator stop bath. It's yellow when you mix it, and when it's exhausted it turns purple(ish). Keep using it 'til it turns color, then toss it and mix up another batch. For the Kodak stuff, an ounce in a half gallon of water is the proper dilution. I've never used the Ilford stuff, so if that's what you're using, follow their directions.
    [COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Arial]Some days are diamonds. Some days a tree crashes through your roof.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to use citric acid stop bath. In fact, Anchell recommends the use of Citric Acid with certain Amidol developer formulae. I've gone totally alkali now (using TF3 fix) and now use a plain water bath for about 1 minute for prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Williams
    Considering Kodak stop bath (16 oz size) makes eight gallons for about $6, it's probably one of the most economical stops available. Plus, it lets you know when it quits working without any testing needed.

4litres of 5% vinegar here costs between $1 and $2 Canadian. That will make 16litres of 1% stop bath.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    Cheaper still, I think, to use citric acid. No smell, either. Check threads elsewhere on apug for precise proportion, but I use 1tsp per liter. must be dumped after each session, since it's organic, but has great capacity and effectiveness. I don't miss the smell, either.

I found citric acid in the bulk spice section of a local organic food store. I think well-stocked canning sections in groceries may have it as well.

-KwM-
    My recipe in the Recipes Section called ModaStop is exactly this. Please comment on my dilution if think it is too weak or too strong.

Morten

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin