Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,203   Online: 850

Shooter
    Multi Format

Processing vintage Verichrome Ortho film

I have searched the threads and seen posts on processing Verichrome Pan film with HC-110, but haven't seen anything talking about the older Ortho film. The Kodak site also had no tech sheet on the older product.

A friend had me look at her grandfather's National Graflex camera and, much to our surprise, there was an exposed roll of film. I'd like to find out the best way to go about processing it.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

processing vintage verichrome ortho film

If you used "ortho" in your seach, you should just try Verichrome film. It was produced from 1931 to 1956. It was then re-formulated as a Panchromatic film after that. Try using Verichrome Film for your search in both the APUG search engine and Google alone. You'll get a more accurate result. As to how to process it, it depends on the film size. 120 film can be processed in any developing tank and reel that will accept it. other sizes you may have to resort to the sesaw method. Either way, if it is indeed that old, you should try Kodak HC-110 at low temps, high dilution and at least 8 to 10 minutes. I've processed quite a lot of old film in the last year and a dev. temp. of 64 degrees F, dilution of 1 part HC-110 syrup and 15 parts water would, for the most part, give visible images. I've always found that it is better to over develop than under develop old films.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually Verichrome was released in 1908/9 by Wratten & Wainwright and has never been an Orthochromatic emulsion either the early version or the later 1930's version.

It does have slightly reduced red sensitivity compared to Verichrome Pan but it still has incresed colour sensitivity compared to Ortho films. Verichrome is a very different emulsion to Panchromatic X and theirs no similarities.

D76/ID-11 is a better bet for older films as HC110 causes some speed loss.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I looked up Verichrome in an old PLI with data sheets from about 1950. It recommended 18 minutes in undiluted D-76. But film was developed to higher contrast in those days, and about 12 minutes would be right for a modern gamma of 0.65, according to the charts. For other developers: 22 minutes (13 for gamma of 0.65) in D-23; 7 (3.5) in DK-60a.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin