Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,377   Online: 1110

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

D23 with a little less Metol

I guess I'll have to try it and see for myself, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried D-23 with say 5g Metol instead of 7.5g.

It is sometimes used with 5g as the A bath in a divided setup. But I'm more interested in a strange reference to Henn's Microdol research in Anchell/Troop - apparently while working on Microdol it was found 5g Metol in D-23 produced the same results as 7.5g. I'm not sure why this would be the case. Presumably there would be a difference in contrast for given developing time. Perhaps with less Metol there might be a slight increase in sharpness, particularly when diluted. Or maybe not. Maybe the extra 2.5g is superfluous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anchell or Anchell/Troop say somewhere in their books that less metol does work. It may work for a single solution like D-23, but I found that i needed the extra metol of the two-bath.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Most people use the time/temperature method of development rather than total development.

Using less metol, the only developing agent in D-23, for the same amount of time will cause less development in the highlights. If you use D-23 to develop to completion, as I often do, it will take longer.

In the given example it is the same as if the developer is diluted 1 + 1 1/3 approximately.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    The metol is actually slightly acidic in solution so, using less may have the effect of raising the pH of the solution and thus, DECREASE development times and increase contrast.

I have used 5 grams of metol with about 80 grams of sodium sulfite and called it "D-23" for years. It works fine and, indeed, gives slightly more contrast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There seem to be a number of variations on the D-23 theme that work well, as long as you calibrate your picture taking and development procedures for them. Within limits, the metol concentration more or less controls activity and the sulfite concentration the grain (and, to some extent, activity). D-23 is often diluted 1 + 3 to get better acutance, but the Windisch metol-sulfite formula (2.5 g metol, 25 g sulfite, 1 l water) may be even better in this regard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Indeed, I've always liked D-23 1+3 with sheet film. Actually, D-76 1+3 also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are indeed other formulas that contain less metol. Some increase the pH with a bit of borax to account for the loss in activity.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look at Kodak's original Fine Grain developer, less Metol and Borax as Gerald suggests.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's interesting that Kodak did not evolve these formulas into what would have essentially been D76H by simply increasing the Borax, but instead Capstaff went with Hydroquinone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak did evolve D76 to D76h which contains metol & Hydroquinone with additional buffering but it's not the same as H76 (D76H which is NOT a Kodak formula) and is basically the original Eastman Kodak Research Fine Gran Developer 1927.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin