Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,318   Online: 966

Thread: D76 brown drops

Shooter
    35mm

D76 brown drops

Hi all,

Sorry if this a silly question but I searched the forum and other websites to find an answer but couldn't find any. I experienced an unusual occurrence today after I mixed my D76 and not sure what the reason could be. I am not an expert in darkroom but I am not a very beginner either. I have been developing my own films without any problems for a while now.

So today, after I mixed D76 powder in a 5 liter jar like I always do, I closed its cap tightly and put it in a dark place in the bathroom to wait until it cools down and settles so that I can filter it and put in separate bottles. After 5-6 hours, I went back to get the jar and I found, unexpectedly, there were brown water drops, dripping down inside the bottle from the top. Attached picture shows what they looked like. Lucky, I was there right on time because they were still sliding down slowly and hadn't reach the developer yet. After I opened the cap, I realized there was some powder left in inner part of the mouth of the jar. It probably happened as I was pouring it down and got stuck there because the jar was wet. I usually clean the mouth of the jar for any residue, but this time, for some reason, I neglected to do it, I don't know why. I immediately cleaned the mouth and was able to get the developer to a clean jar, but during the process, a few drops went into the developer.

The only reason I can think why the drops would turn brown is oxidization. But I know that I closed the cap tightly and this is a new powder, its expiration date is in 2013. So I cannot think of any other reason why that would happen.

I was wondering if anyone here experienced the same thing and if the developer might have been affected by the few drops that went in.

Thank you in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d76 brown drops.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	339.9 KB 
ID:	53894

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's not unusual at all.

When most developers are exposed to air, they oxidize and turn brown. Droplets have huge surface areas for the volume of liquid. So they turn brown faster than say, liquid in a jar or in a deep tray.

Nothing to worry about. Just clean it up and you are good to go.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    .....and WELCOME TO APUG! If you are going to be darkroom rats, you'll enjoy the company. Become a member and support the site, too!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Even a HC110 syrup droplet does that. Oxidation at work...

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks a lot guys, it's the first time this happened to me, so I was not sure. I appreciate the comments...greetings...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's always good to ask. We were all new at this once, remember...
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin