Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,416   Online: 1003

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is one of my Ilford favorite films, and i think it is the only ISO50 film i like, just know how to shoot it and then develop it, i did once with Ilfosol 3 even not perfect combo maybe but i've got decent nice results, and TMAX even done a better job, not so perfect with D-76 so i will avoid it for this film.

Good luck, and show us the result when you do.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    My wife, not a photographer, bought this film for me for my birthday (Ilford Pan F Plus 50, 35mm). She said she bought it because the reviews sounded good. It's nothing I would have chosen to shoot -- not yet. But I'm up for a challenge.

I'm thinking I'll load it in my Yashica T5 (T4 Super) and take some headshots of my family and other loved ones. This is slow film, so I think these portraits will have to be outdoors. I know the T4/T5 is known to have a (relatively) bright flash (so Terry Richardson would make us believe). But is it bright enough to use indoors or in suboptimal lighting? Will the flash add anything indoors? What I don't have a good understanding of is how film speed and on-camera flash work together. I seem to remember reading that the T4/T5 flash is "optimized" for 400 speed film.

Also, I have D76 on hand, but I have an itching to try developing it in Perceptol. I've read that Perceptol also works well with Neopan Acros 100, which I have a good supply of.

Any help is appreciated.

Pan F is a beautiful film and I develop it at 68F/20C for 14 minutes in D76 at 1:1

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find it a FANTASTIC film and always keep a bulk roll on ice (135.)

Even though it's ASA 50 film, I shoot it in on everything from sunny to rainy days, in the evenings, and in poor light on purpose. I've found it great for long night shots of 20 ~ 30 seconds, too.

I found it to be ho-hum in D-76, pretty good in HC-110 and gorgeous in Rodinal. I don't do things scientifically though, so Your Mileage May Vary, etc.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bvy: If you have D76 on hand it will work very well at 1+1 with Pan F. As Gerald says, it Is inherently a fairly contrasty film so be careful not to overdevelop. If you prefer rich shadow detail I suggest rating it at EI 25 and giving somewhat softer than normal development.

Perceptol will work best with this film (and Acros) at 1+3. However note that to get maximum quality out of Perceptol it is imperative to accept its speed loss of at least one stop - regardless of dilution. It is not really a compensating developer, even at 1+3 with reduced agitation, and if you try to get box speed out of it you'll just end up with grainy negatives. Same goes for Acros (or any other film for that matter).

Pan F is pretty fine grained so if you have D-76 go with it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Your wife has great taste! I bulk load it and shoot it at 25 with a medium yellow filter (K2) for all types of light and find it a joy...
    Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin