Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,973   Online: 833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilford Pan F+ 50 First Timer

My wife, not a photographer, bought this film for me for my birthday (Ilford Pan F Plus 50, 35mm). She said she bought it because the reviews sounded good. It's nothing I would have chosen to shoot -- not yet. But I'm up for a challenge.

I'm thinking I'll load it in my Yashica T5 (T4 Super) and take some headshots of my family and other loved ones. This is slow film, so I think these portraits will have to be outdoors. I know the T4/T5 is known to have a (relatively) bright flash (so Terry Richardson would make us believe). But is it bright enough to use indoors or in suboptimal lighting? Will the flash add anything indoors? What I don't have a good understanding of is how film speed and on-camera flash work together. I seem to remember reading that the T4/T5 flash is "optimized" for 400 speed film.

Also, I have D76 on hand, but I have an itching to try developing it in Perceptol. I've read that Perceptol also works well with Neopan Acros 100, which I have a good supply of.

Any help is appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Shoot at box speed and follow the instruction sheet.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use this in 35mm and 120 and I like it. I have used it indoors but it is actually more of an outdoor film for me. It holds up really well to contrasty scenes, especially when developed in Rodinal 1:50. If you don't develop your own, send it to DR5 Chrome and they will do it right. A little expensive but certainly worth it.

I love using this film to take shots of my family during our summer picnics at the park, they come out very good. Try it out, I think you will enjoy how it handles bright sunlight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In my experience, XTOL produces nice pictures with Pan F+.

If you find the contrast to be a little harsh, slow your agitation down.
    Manufacturer's instructions say to use 5 inversions/agitations per 10 seconds instead of the usual 5-in-5 but I have been advised by a certain someone from Ilford that an even gentler agitation scheme might be useful.

Personally, I like the "brassy" look of Pan F+ so I don't usually try to cut contrast very much.

I find that this film likes a lot of light. By that, I don't mean that it takes more light to expose it correctly. I mean something like a bright, sunny day or a bright day with overcast skies.

I shot some really nice pictures indoors with direct sunlight coming through a large picture window at about 4:00 in the afternoon.

You shouldn't have any problem shooting Pan F+ outdoors any time from late morning/early afternoon through golden hour on any day when it's sunny.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a great film. Go shoot some landscapes with it; in my opinion that's what it's best at. You could also do urban photography with it in good light, particularly with reasonably fast lenses.

The grain is very fine and it prints beautifully.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    Also, I have D76 on hand, but I have an itching to try developing it in Perceptol. I've read that Perceptol also works well with Neopan Acros 100, which I have a good supply of.
    Yeah, I like Pan F+ at ISO 25 then developed in Perceptol 1+2 at 72F for 11 min. Brings out the shadows and retains the highlights. I also use Perceptol 1+2 at 72F for 16 min with Acros at 100 ISO. I prefer Pan F+ for landscapes/architecture and Acros for people pics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be careful with this film as it builds contrast very rapidly in some developers. I personally do not consider it an ISO 50 film and shoot it at less and develop it in D-23 1+1.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agree it's lovely film and builds contrast quickly. Be careful with D76 - an ok combination but do NOT overdevelop.

I really like it in Diafine. I shoot it at box speed or EI 64. Superb combo. This is 6x6 PanF+ in Diafine:

Apalachicola Beach 1 by Roger Cole, on Flickr

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I love this film, especially in Xtol 1:1 and in medium format. Very smooth and detailed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    It holds up really well to contrasty scenes, especially when developed in Rodinal 1:50.
    +1 on that, I develop PAN-F 50 with rodinal/r09 1:100 stand dev. 60 mins, and the result is always great! (I'm shooting 99% outdoors).
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin