Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,489   Posts: 1,542,936   Online: 873

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Leica M6 Shutter Problem - Any Ideas?

Every so often a shot comes out with these uniform horizontal lines on it. Always top and bottom in this exact position and always only two.
    Looks like a shutter problem but it's happening no more than 4 frames out of every 36. I've gone through all the speeds with the lens off and nothing looks out of the ordinary but it happens at fast and a slow shutter speeds.. so any clues?

Ps the black bit at the right is just a particularly sloppy scan, my bad.

Thanks all,
    Jake

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img022.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	395.9 KB 
ID:	54013
    Jacob

Canon AE-1 Program - Leica M6 - Mamiya-6 (folder) - Nikon FM2

psychfunk.wordpress.com
    huntersarenotcooks.tumblr.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quick guess: Looks like a light leak based, not on the shutter speed, but on how long that frame sat in the film gate before it was exposed and moved on to the take-up spool. Is your camera one of those with the door in the back? Do those lines sort of line up with that door?

N.B. I've never even touched a Leica, but I might have experienced the aura they give off.

s-never-too-busy-to-comment-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That crossed my mind too..
    Had a quick look at the rest of the scans; the affected frames were sometimes left in for a while, but some of them are when I was shooting pretty rapidly on the street.
    The camera does have a door in the back but the film plate covers the film area by a comfortable margin and any frontiers to the outside world would, I think, make vertical lines.
    Can't be my processing either, because I've had c-41 done in my local lab and it's the same.
    Jacob

psychfunk.wordpress.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by psychfunk View Post
    That crossed my mind too..
    Had a quick look at the rest of the scans; the affected frames were sometimes left in for a while, but some of them are when I was shooting pretty rapidly on the street.
    The camera does have a door in the back but the film plate covers the film area by a comfortable margin and any frontiers to the outside world would, I think, make vertical lines.
    Can't be my processing either, because I've had c-41 done in my local lab and it's the same.
    Try a different lab, to check that variable.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    Try a different lab, to check that variable.
    Ignore that.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    light seeping through the shutter curtain -- this happens with my old IIIc which has an original curtain which, I suspect, has grown thin with age, I dunno -- keep the lens from having direct light hit the front element at wide aperature, guard it while changing lenses.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If you aren’t ready to send it to a repair expert for a cla, you might want to join the Rangefinder forum. There are many Leica fanatics there who may be able to give you answers. http://www.rangefinderforum.com They also may be able to suggest a reputable repair person close to you.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks like light leaking around the curtain at the top and bottom. It may be that the curtains aren't running in the track provided for them but instead are running in front of the track, leaving an unbaffled path for light leaks. Probably a flash of sunlight on the camera interior is all it takes.

As John suggested, the RF forum will have more knowledge of the matter (and the know-it-alls to go with).
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    It looks like light leaking around the curtain at the top and bottom.
    A quick check with a torch shone through from the front confirms this. As the rangefinder itself also needs adjustment, I'll get it CLA'd.

Probably been asked before, but anyway; Any recommended repair centres in the UK?
    Jacob

psychfunk.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A good place to ask that question about CLA in UK is on the rangefinder forum. There are a lot of Leica users there from the UK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin