Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,389   Online: 685

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ortho negatives from colour slides?

I want to produce some 5X4 negatives by enlarging 35mm colour slides on to Ilford Ortho Plus sheet film. The slides are landscapes, seascapes and architecture so not too many oranges and reds!

Has anyone tried this? In particular I was wondering what filtration I should use in the enlarger to obtain the best range of tones. Also I shall probably develop the film in D76 1:3 unless people here have any better suggestions.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not use a panchromatic film such as TMax100 or FP-4, then you don't have to worry about the tones in the negative.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    You will get better quality by contacting the slides rather than projecting to 4x5.
    I did this in the past and I would use HC110 rather than D76. I cannot remember the correct dilution

You will need to do and exposure sweep at recommended development time to determine your density
    and fine tune adjust your development time and agitation, to determine the correct contrast you are trying to achive for enlarging.

Contact internegs have always been historically better than projected.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    You will get better quality by contacting the slides rather than projecting to 4x5.
    I did this in the past and I would use HC110 rather than D76. I cannot remember the correct dilution

You will need to do and exposure sweep at recommended development time to determine your density
    and fine tune adjust your development time and agitation, to determine the correct contrast you are trying to achive for enlarging.

Contact internegs have always been historically better than projected.
    And just how do you contact enlarge 35mm to 4x5"?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Think about it and you will figure out the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholai View Post
    And just how do you contact enlarge 35mm to 4x5"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Think about it and you will figure out the answer.
    Sorry for not being clear, it was sarcastic. The original poster asked about enlarging to 4x5, and you advised a method not capable of that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Projecting a colour original onto ortho should only require the same filtration as the original scene done on ortho. Green, possibly. The enlarger lamp colour temperature may have some influence, but tests will determine that.

I assume that the 5x4 is the final size - for a contact print? Emulsion to emulsion contacting is the usual approach, and then enlarge, but I can see a few processes where going straight to a final larger negative might appeal.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Oh contrair mon amie

We always contacted 35mm film on 4x5 sheets and then cut the film out to the original size and then put the interneg into the 35mm neg holder for magnification.
    This is the preferred method.
    My suggestion was not to enlarge to 4x5 but rather do a contact interneg . This will indeed give the OP better results .

Quote Originally Posted by nicholai View Post
    Sorry for not being clear, it was sarcastic. The original poster asked about enlarging to 4x5, and you advised a method not capable of that.

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    Oh contrair mon amie

We always contacted 35mm film on 4x5 sheets and then cut the film out to the original size and then put the interneg into the 35mm neg holder for magnification.
    This is the preferred method.
    My suggestion was not to enlarge to 4x5 but rather do a contact interneg . This will indeed give the OP better results .
    That would be the superior method if your end goal was a enlarged B&W print, but I suspect the OP might be doing an alternative process that requires contact printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, everybody. Much food for thought as always. I was intending to use the negatives for two purposes, the first to make cyanotypes and the second to sandwich with homemade 5X4 texture screens to create a distressed looking print. However I guess the second can be achieved by double exposure. I'll try both ways. The reason for choosing ortho was to enable development by inspection but if I don't get a satisfactory result I'll try panchro as suggested.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin