Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,723   Posts: 1,514,998   Online: 1218

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    papers lose contrast and speed over time, but you can obviously compensate for both,at least with multi-contrast papers.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks again for all the posts which confirmed my suspicions. I did a test last night on 2 of the many papers. One pack of Kodak Bromesko 2, which is lovely, is fine but there were only 2 small sheets, one I used for a test the other was ok. One small pack of Ilford MG II is fogged. There's loads to go through and to be honest, Im quite excited at the prospect. I think Ive been given a trasure chest of goodies.
    Quite a few of the boxes are unopended and I wont open them until I plan on using them. I'll continue to test the opened packets/boxes.

Storage - My darkroom is quite small, 5 x 5 metres. Ive got a book case which I use for dry materials etc but Im concerned about keeping the papers in the darkroom.
    Ive never needed to be concerned about long term storage because I normally keep a few packs of paper in the fridge until I need it, but now that I have so much precious paper, Im looking at long term storage.
    Presumably keeping the papers the darkroom is not a good idea due to fumes. I was thinking of a dark plastic storage box which has a lid, would that be ok to keep in the darkroom on a shelf if I keep the lid closed?
    Many thanks again.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks again for all the posts which confirmed my suspicions. I did a test last night on 2 of the many papers. One pack of Kodak Bromesko 2, which is lovely, is fine but there were only 2 small sheets, one I used for a test the other was ok. One small pack of Ilford MG II is fogged. There's loads to go through and to be honest, Im quite excited at the prospect. I think Ive been given a trasure chest of goodies.
    Quite a few of the boxes are unopended and I wont open them until I plan on using them. I'll continue to test the opened packets/boxes.

Storage - My darkroom is quite small, 5 x 5 metres. Ive got a book case which I use for dry materials etc but Im concerned about keeping the papers in the darkroom.
    Ive never needed to be concerned about long term storage because I normally keep a few packs of paper in the fridge until I need it, but now that I have so much precious paper, Im looking at long term storage.
    Presumably keeping the papers the darkroom is not a good idea due to fumes. I was thinking of a dark plastic storage box which has a lid, would that be ok to keep in the darkroom on a shelf if I keep the lid closed?
    Many thanks again.

Older papers from 60`s &70`s held up better than todays papers in storage. Todays papers have additional emulsion components that allow them to be manufactured and sold immediately without 6 months aging. Good for manufactures, bad for users as the shelf life is shortened considerably.

20 years ago the Ilford rep, when Kodak and Ilford had reps, told me freezing added little to shelf life.

The good news is I believe the papers today have better tonality than they did then, specially the multicontrast. Ilford Gallery is just outstanding.Knock your socks off good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I play with old paper all the time. Ask those who get psotcard exchange images from me if you think this an idle boast.

When you test, don't pull from the top of the pile with old papers before deciding the paper is crap.

There seems to be some kind of interaction with the packaging that makes the top sheet of old paper often behave differently from that found further in.

Old papers loose contrast in my experience. A step wedge printing test can be very helpful in calibrating how they currently react.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "vintage" papers are great for lumen prints, retina prints, and paper negatives ..
    have fun !
    john
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here's a snap of the papers...the bottom 2 Ilford I already had...
    Doing more tests but so far the 2 kodak papers, Bresko and Bromide are good, the Ilforbrom is fogged.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	papers.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	628.7 KB 
ID:	54134

Shooter
    35mm
    The absolute WORST offender in this panoply is Kodak Panalure (for B&W prints from color negatives), long discontinued but relevant to the discussion. Perfect one year and was heavily fogged the next. - David Lyga

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i don't have much paper younger than four years!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm hoping this box of Ilford paper (batch no 254XS) may still yield a few prints from a camera of similar vintage (& format)

Ian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails selo-sm.jpg  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin