Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,700   Online: 759

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Working w/ Warmtone

Is it necessary to develop Ilford Warmtone fibre paper in the Ilford warmtone developer or can I get the same results with other developers?
    Thanks
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used to develop the Ilford warmtone in Fotospeed wt10 diluted at 1/19 for 3 minutes abd go a much warmer result.
    Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Photobob,

No you do not need to use warmtone dev, nor indeed do you need to use ony ILFORD dev, lots of threads on APUG about peoples preferred paper dev's ( and film dev's obviously ) you have a range of dev's that alter image colour and lots of dev's that people use for a range of requirements such as keeping properties or cost, as always, research, experiment and find what works for you and your images.

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I am currently mixing a Dektol formula with some ilford multigrade... long story .. but it works nicely with Ilford Warmtone, Galerie and Art 300, my papers of choice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Adding potassium bromide to almost any stock developer will yiled a warmer image tone. If you are not familiar with working with raw chemicals, look to the Photgraphers Formulary web site, since you are NA based.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get excellent results with Ilford WT in Caffenol, a different and fun way of printing. I've done some pseudo-lith printing (following the lith methods, but no infectious dev... just waiting until the blacks are right to pull the print) with both the FB and RC papers, and the results are promising, if not true lith. I'd love to try this with some more lith-able papers to see if I can get more of a lith feel.

A few years ago I experimented adding KBr to Caffenol, but it appears rather than acting as a restrainer, it pretty much shut down the process and wasted several sheets of paper before I gave it up.

But I digress... Ilford WT are lovely papers, and if you like a particular developer, have at it.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have seen wonderful results from Ilford Warmtone paper developed in their warmtone developer. I personally use PF130 diluted 1:1 and love the results, including the nice warm color.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoBob View Post
    Is it necessary to develop Ilford Warmtone fibre paper in the Ilford warmtone developer or can I get the same results with other developers?
    Thanks
    When you use different developers with a certain paper, you will see that the developer itself, as well as its dilution and temperature, will not only change the tonality of the print, but also the color.
    I recommend starting with a paper developer that's easy for you to obtain on a consistent basis. Try it and see if you like it. If you don't like it, pinpoint what you don't like, and you can either try to correct it by toning the print, or using a different dilution of your developer, or finally try a different developer.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it is. It's best to dive in and get started, to see with your own eyes what the effects are.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Warmtone papers are more sensitive to the developer you use than are coldtone papers. While you can use a coldtone developer with Ilford WT paper, the results will be only slightly warmer than those with the coldtone paper. (Ilford WT is not very warmtone in any case.) With various warmtone developers you are likely to get a variety of warmer tone results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can get warmtone results with non warmtone paper with dilute lpd or very old/ used up lpd. It's an interesting look and it might save you a bit in $$. Admittedly I prefer a neutral to colder tone, and have only used one box of warmtone paper.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin