Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,748   Online: 875

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How many rolls can i develop with Diafine ?

Hi,

I just start to make some tests with Diafine, and i have to say that i am quite happy with it.

On the technical file, they say it's an extremely stable formula and unusually long working life.

So, i have already developp 4 rolls (135) (with a 1liter can of A & B), Diafine A already started to get colored.

So, can you please tell me if:
    - there is a limited number of rolls that i can developp without making any replenishment
    - what is the maximum time of storage in your opinion ?

Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Rom; 07-20-2012 at 04:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    All the best,
    Rom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't give you exact numbers, but the life of the stuff is legendary. There are tales of newspaper photo editors keeping the stuff in their desk drawers for years and just throwing whatever came in together in the soup––long after it had turned brown and nasty. I have used it when it was dark brown and chunky–no problem. I just screened out the solids and kept using it. That batch finally got thrown out by someone else who had no idea what it was (so much for good labeling) but I never saw much difference in the way it worked.

There is no replenishment system. Use it until it doesn't work and then dispose of it.

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Whiteymorange,

Thanks for replying. After reading others articles, i learn also that it can works for life (or for a very long time). At the beginning, i was not believing it too much as i am use with d76 and others who died very quickly...

Thanks for confirming it.

Do you know why Diafine will always works and why the others products will only works for a couple of weeks ?
    All the best,
    Rom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Rom,

I have used Diafine for many decades, and can confirm that it really will last that long if properly cared for.

One important point...
    As stated in the instructions, DO NOT use a pre-soak, regardless of recommendations for any particular film.

The critical concern is contamination.
    If you even suspect that any of Solution B has gotten into Solution A, throw everything out and mix a fresh batch.

Use separate utensils (storage containers, graduates, stirring rods, funnels, etc) for Solution A and for Solution B.
    DO NOT use those for any other purpose. Rinse everything immediately after use and set them aside to dry.

BTW, you'll need a small graduate for each developer solution, probably in the 25ml to 50ml range.

Mix each powder in its own graduate and store in clean bottles.
    Make sure the Solution A bottle is filled to the brim. This is important for replenishment, as you'll see below.
    Use clean marbles if necessary to fill the Solution A bottle. Solution B does not need to be completely full.

Mix a small additional set of stock solutions (1 quart of each) and store these in separate bottles (need not be full).
    These will be used up in exactly equal volumes. Fresh batches can be mixed when needed.

Replenishment is very simple. You replace the lost volume of A with fresh, and add an identical volume of fresh B to its bottle.
    When replenished as described below there's no limit to the storage life nor to the number of rolls it can develop.

When finished developing, return working Solution A to its storage bottle.
    Add the amount of fresh Stock A required to fill the bottle of working Solution A, carefully measuring that amount.

Now return about half of Solution B to its bottle. Add some of Stock Solution B, the same volume as for Solution A,
    and fill the rest of the way with the remaining working Solution B. Discard any excess. This half and half method
    insures reasonable mixing of the solutions, although with pouring things back and forth that's really not a concern.

Discoloration of Solution A with use is of no concern. It's the film's anti-halation dye dissolving, which is perfectly normal.
    You may also see some discoloration of Solution B; again of no concern. The color will vary depending on what film(s) you use.

As you've probably already noted, time and temperature are rather irrelevant for Diafine.
    The temperature can be anything from 70°F to 85°F (21°C to 29.5°C).
    Time in each solution should be at least 3 minutes, and no longer than 5 minutes.
    There's no difference in results between those two times. I use 5 minutes since it gives me time for other tasks.
    Agitation should be VERY GENTLE for 5 seconds at the start and 5 seconds each minute.

HTH

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 07-21-2012 at 04:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Diafine likes it warm

I posted this in the LF developing thread as well...

Leigh is correct in saying that Diafine doesn't require temperature precision, but it does require a bit of warmth.

The recommendation of 70F to 85F is fine, but it is important to have it at a temperature of at least 70F.

Diafine doesn't perform well in cooler circumstances.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dear Matt King & Leigh B,

Thanks for taking your time for me.

I will have to call the shop who sold it to me to see if they have still some on stock. In fact, from now, i just make a small filtration, but no replenishment. Because i didn't have anything else to store, i made one quart of A & B and stored them in 1 liter bottle. Is it dangerous for the product (a bit of air remaining, see picture below)?

What i understood from you is that diafine doesn't have to be in contact with air because of oxydation. Do you think i have to look for another storage system.

After 6 x tri-x 135, 1 x fp+ 120, 2 x fp+ 135, Tank A begins to turn purple. Nothing in tank B except a "black" sedimentation.

Matt, i am going to the LF forum to see your thread. But sorry then, i am not used to go into LF section.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-07-14+12.19.48.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	345.0 KB 
ID:	54249

Thanks
    All the best,
    Rom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Rom,

Your storage bottles are OK. I would keep them in a cupboard or other location where they're not exposed to direct light.

The solutions will not oxidize. The only reason for filling the bottle for Solution A is so you can measure the amount of
    fresh solution that you add during replenishment. If you're not replenishing then it doesn't matter.

The volume of Solution A decreases with use because it's absorbed into the dry emulsion, and carried into Solution B.

You can certainly use it without replenishment until the volume of Solution A falls below the amount required by your tank.
    I would suggest getting additional storage bottles and going to a replenishment system when circumstances permit.

Discoloration of Solution A (and sometimes of Solution B) is normal, as mentioned previously, and is of no concern.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Leigh,

Indeed, i store the bottles in a cupboard, so it's just exposed to light when i am developing rolls.

Thanks for all your advise. I will try to by another quart of diafine, in case i need to increase the volume.

I am quite happy because i think i found my dev for my practice. And most important, i was looking for a product which can rest for a very long time. It fits with my availability for my photo practise.

Thanks
    All the best,
    Rom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's great, Rom.

Good shooting.

- Leigh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin