Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,536   Online: 1143

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fiber Paper Finish Options

I just won a print drier for my fiber work (yeah). I'm now getting ready to buy more paper, and I thought I'd check with you all for a refresher on the finish options when using a print dryer.

I'm not fond of the glossy finish you get with RC paper, but I've read that you can buy fiber in the glossy finish and simply not put it face down on the ferrotype plate, and it will end up more like a semi-matte. Does this sound right? Then again, maybe the glossy finish with fiber is not as objectionable as it is with RC.

I've been using Matte Ilford MGIV, and I may just stick with it, but seeing as how I'll have the option of possibly changing the finish sheen a little bit with the dryer, I thought I'd ask you all for your thoughts. Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ruby
    I just won a print drier for my fiber work (yeah). I'm now getting ready to buy more paper, and I thought I'd check with you all for a refresher on the finish options when using a print dryer.

I'm not fond of the glossy finish you get with RC paper, but I've read that you can buy fiber in the glossy finish and simply not put it face down on the ferrotype plate, and it will end up more like a semi-matte. Does this sound right? Then again, maybe the glossy finish with fiber is not as objectionable as it is with RC.

I've been using Matte Ilford MGIV, and I may just stick with it, but seeing as how I'll have the option of possibly changing the finish sheen a little bit with the dryer, I thought I'd ask you all for your thoughts. Thanks.
    I have used a dryer with ferrotype some years ago and the finish is much more glossy then what I obtain with simply drying my prints face down on fiberglass drying screens. I find the glossy fiber paper gives what I want in depth in my prints. By the same token I find matte finish objectionable since it does not exhibit the depth that glossy fiber imparts. RC (I will not call it paper) is a waste of my time. Possibly one of these days I will state an opinion. I hate to be so ill defined in my approach...

Images
    Good Morning, David,

I personally like the Ilford FB Glossy air-dried. If I want really glossy, I'm content with Ilford RC and Kodak Polymax RC. I've never bothered trying to use ferrotyping for FB glossy; I understand that it's a bit tricky to keep the tin surface completely clean free of imperfections.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Donald,

Is the surface you get from drying glossy fiber face down on screens like a semi-matte, or what would you say? I guess I'm trying to see if using glossy fiber will allow me some variations in the final print depending on how I dry it.

Thanksn

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It is my belief that getting that old time glossy finish on glossy FB papers is nearly impossible anymore. I have some good plates and polish and have tried and it never comes out right. It is my belief that modern papers have emulsions that are too hard and that the papers of old had very soft emulsions that would take the glossy surface better. I generally order glossy FB Paper (mostly Forte) and let it air dry. I get much deeper blacks on the glossy than I would have gotten on the matte papers or semi matte papers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ruby
    Donald,

Is the surface you get from drying glossy fiber face down on screens like a semi-matte, or what would you say? I guess I'm trying to see if using glossy fiber will allow me some variations in the final print depending on how I dry it.

Thanksn
    The finish that I get from drying face down on screens is not the same high gloss finish that one gets when ferrotyping. I guess that if one were to say that ferrotyping is gloss then the method that I use would be more semi but certainly not matte.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all. This is what I had expected, but I wanted some reassurance before ordering a box of 100! Thanks again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find air dried Agfa FB is very similar to Agfa RC Semi-Matt, maybe a touch more sheen, but the blacks on the FB have more depth and seperation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Out of curiosity, what would it look like if you ferrotyped matte/semi-matte paper?
    -Grant

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidoidRamone
    Out of curiosity, what would it look like if you ferrotyped matte/semi-matte paper?
    -Grant
    I don't think that it would adhere to the tin. It's hard enough to ferrotype F surface prints without getting dull spots and oystershelling.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin