Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,644   Online: 1120

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First timer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    Digital ICE causes these artifacts. ICE is good when scanning color film, but for B&W it is best to leave it off and use noise reduction only if you must.
    Good call. Digitial ICE can cause the silver to glow.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Take the normal lens off your camera. Set the focus to infinity and open the aperture to the largest opening [smallest s/stop]. Look through the front of the lens and aim the rear [lens mount side] at the negative. Now you have a magnifying lens to use as a loupe.
    35mm lens is best for that. :-)
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm
    It was indeed the Digital Ice that was the culprit. I'm using an Epson V500 to scan and I had forgotten to switch to 16 bit grayscale in addition to b/w negative. This was leaving Digital Ice activated, ruining the scan. My negatives look really good actually. I'm quite pleased this being my first attempt to self-develop. I'm probably going to be switching to shooting film almost exclusively now that I know I can develop my own film...it's quite enjoyable actually, and very rewarding to be responsible to the entire process. My next step is to learn how to make prints from my actual negatives instead of scanning and printing. I'm probably picking up a medium format camera soon too. Currently I'm using a Nikon FE and 50mm 1.8 series E, or a Nikon F90x when I want autofocus.

Thank you everyone for all the help. I'll be using that camera lens trick as well to examine my negatives I expect I'll be more active in these forums now that I have an idea as to what I'm doing. Probably lots more questions too.

I attached one of the proper negatives so you can get an idea what they look like. Not a great shot by any means but I was just blowing through this roll of film with the knowledge that it would be my first attempt at self-developing. It's Kodak Tmax 400. Thanks again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image244.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	983.8 KB 
ID:	54278

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My next step is to learn how to make prints from my actual negatives instead of scanning and printing
    IMHO printing is much more rewarding than developing negs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    IMHO printing is much more rewarding than developing negs.
    Indeed, find a very nice photo enlarger which is capable to print upto atleast 6x6 negs. Even if you make one or two copies it will be rewarding.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    welcome to apug and mazel tov - no longer a virgin!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    welcome to apug and mazel tov - no longer a virgin!!!

Thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin