Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,771   Posts: 1,516,526   Online: 793

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I'm consistently getting EI 250 from TMY-2. Have been for two years. The curves look great. The negatives look great (except for scratches that I complain bitterly about).
    Bill, what is causing the scratches?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Bill, what is causing the scratches?
    Me. Sheet film in trays, emulsion up. I cannot resist moving the sheets constantly. I work diligently too. Wear gloves, attend to every moment the film is wet, including wash.

The scratches are very fine, and I only get one or two every dozen sheets. But, they are there.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Me. Sheet film in trays, emulsion up. I cannot resist moving the sheets constantly. I work diligently too. Wear gloves, attend to every moment the film is wet, including wash.

The scratches are very fine, and I only get one or two every dozen sheets. But, they are there.
    Well perhaps you should not move the film constantly and when you do, just touch them at the edge.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Reviving an old thread because I just developed a roll of TMAX 100 35mm in D-76 that was mixed 41 days before developing...

And I believe I lost 1/3 stop of speed compared to the same batch of TMAX 100 where I ran a family of tests on 1 day old D-76.

Development time was the same for the family curve that met ASA Triangle and my recent roll, which also met the ASA Triangle.

But the LogE displacement caught me off-guard. The new curve is 1/3 stop to the right. Speed is still above 80 by my calculation (but only 0.02 density units above).

So where I formerly held the position that D-76 can be used "practically forever" I must now take the position that "Yes, D-76 can be used practically forever, but you might lose a little speed - therefore it falls in the category I would call alternative processing." The alternative I am referring to in this case is "instead of using known good developer, experimenting with old developer." And that can be fine for thrift or occasional hobby developing.

p.s. I work for Kodak but this position I'm taking is my own and not necessarily that of EKC.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That thread shouldn't be titled "TMY is 250 speed", but "TMY in D-76 full strength is 250 speed". AFAIK box speed is no longer tied to a specific developer. There is a good chance that TMY will reach true ISO 400 speed in a more modern developer, or even D-76 1+3.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get an EI of 200-250 for Tmax 400 in D761+1 as wqellbut why does that matter to you if you are satisfied with negs and results?if EI250 gives you all you needand has sufficient shadow detail, go for it.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    That thread shouldn't be titled "TMY is 250 speed", but "TMY in D-76 full strength is 250 speed". AFAIK box speed is no longer tied to a specific developer. There is a good chance that TMY will reach true ISO 400 speed in a more modern developer, or even D-76 1+3.
    TMY is 250 speed based on what method. It's 400 based on the ISO standard. The reason the standard no longer has a specific developer is because of the T-Max films. Kodak used D-76 for the films during the design stage, but the T-grains didn't respond the same in the ISO developer. The standard changed in order to have a closer agreement with real world use. When the T-max films first came out, they had EIs and not an ISO.

Shooter
    35mm

old school

I guess I am Old School. When I go to set my camera's exposure I wet a finger and hold it up. That tells me the f stop and shutter speed with b&w. I attended some of the Leitz company's coast-to-coast Leica Flying Short Courses and they tried to tell us that b&w negs should be exposed and developed so you could print them properly on number four single-graded paper. Anything less was overexposed. My wet finger technique works better and save a lot of time away from actually composing and shooting photos. Does that make me a bad person?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just to add a few things/details (this may or may not help anything):

In Kodak's technical publication F-4016, for the TMax 100/400 films, the statement is initially made that they are ISO 100/400 speed according to ISO standards. The specific developer used in the testing is not mentioned - although it is likely D-76, and Kodak says D-76 delivers full emulsion speed. It is further stated in pub F-4016 for both TMX and TMY that they will deliver the ISO speeds of 100 and 400 respectively in most developers. In the later publication F-4043 (specific to the reformulated TMY-2), all that is said initially regarding ISO is that the film will deliver ISO 400 in most developers.

But it should be noted nothing further is said about ISO specifically. Recommended speed ratings for the films in a range of Kodak developers are clearly indicated as EIs. This extends to the suggested developing times, contrast adjustment factors etc. They are all based on EI.

Ilford's approach is slightly different. For all their films, with the exception of Delta 100 (which may be a real different or just an oversight), it is clearly stated that the ISO speeds were determined using ID-11 (same as D-76). So there is some more clarity there. However from then on, as is the case in the Kodak tech pubs, there is no further mention of ISO. Everything is EI.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Michael, by not stating the developer somewhere, Kodak isn't adhering to the standard and technical shouldn't be using the ISO prefix.
    Last edited by Stephen Benskin; 05-08-2014 at 10:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin