Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,000   Online: 1100

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

My personal project: printing it all!

I've been shooting and printing for 20 years now. I'm 36, started at 14, buried myself in the darkroom ever since I was 16. I remember fluctuating from prefering to shoot, then prefering to print... all until I was about 25 where I stopped Printing every 4 negs at a time. That was a bad decision because once you stop the cycle the negs pile up and then you just let it go for that "one day when I'll print them all".

About 3 years ago I decided I'd start from new: print all my negatives from the very beginning, one by one, baby steps. My rough calculations was that it would take me about 10 years of regular printing to finish it off.
    I chose to print all my stuff on FB paper. First, all on 8x10, then the better ones would get pri ted on 11x14 also. The even better ones on 16x20 and 20x24.

Finally, my baby steps are paying off. I printed about 1500 8x10, 1500 11x14, 500 16x20 and 150 20x24 (My plans changed along the way and decided I'd go to 11x14 straight). Each and every print is done with the best of my abilities, all archival grade, all on a beautiful focomat IIc (which accepts xpan negatives! What a JOY!!!).
    I'm at about 1/5 through this personal project and I couldn't be happier. There's nothing like having your own bunker.

The morale of this story? Consistant Baby steps ARE giant steps.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I am very impressed.. make sure you put these prints away with care, and sign and number them all..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    My plans changed along the way and decided I'd go to 11x14 straight.
    Great project!

I've made this same decision to go with 11x14. That's a good way to see consistent style and quality.

Though I am miles and miles behind...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I am very impressed.. make sure you put these prints away with care, and sign and number them all..
    Bazinga
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-22-2012 at 02:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    What I meant by "every negative, one by one" was more like "every roll, one by one". I've got about 5 to 15 keepers per roll when on personal assignments and about 2-3 when shooting street stuff around my city and the kids.
    I found that the XPan particularly suits my vision as the number of keepers is very high. i brlieve it's the best tool for photojournalism photography. Seeing xpan images printed on 16x20 and 20x24, full frame right in the center with the black birder and leaving the white paper as a frame is quite spectacular.
    My wife likes my photography and she always told me that I had to do something with it. Well now I'm filling a room with boxes. Sge's nit so happy anymore :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Dad did something like that in the late 80's. He had been taking photos since the late 20's. He did 3 1/2 X 5 prints and put them in albums, identified so he could go back to the negatives. Sort of a filing system. Took him a few years. At least now, if I want to print one of his negatives, I can go back and find it.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    What I meant by "every negative, one by one" was more like "every roll, one by one". I've got about 5 to 15 keepers per roll when on personal assignments and about 2-3 when shooting street stuff around my city and the kids.
    That's similar to the pact I made with myself years ago except I really meant every exposure on every roll and every sheet would be taken through the full process to the best gelatin-silver positive I could make. The sequence of photographs, mistakes, bloopers, and "masterpieces", is the work itself. And everything is archivally processed, stamped, dated, titled, and signed.

Perhaps the most valuable consequence of such a personal pact is the moment of pause it prompts before I commit to an exposure: Do I really want this particular image badly enough to spend the dollars on materials and do the darkroom hours? A lot of the time the right answer is no.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The first important step seems to have very good contact sheets of all the films. With a powerful loupe (around 5x) you get good impression how the real image would look like.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have my complete unwavering admiration.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by artonpaper View Post
    You have my complete unwavering admiration.
    You are probably sarcastic and BS'ing me (I know I would, just for the kicks ). Still, it's all good.
    The worst part will indeed be to number all the prints and file all the negatives in a logical, intelligent way. And then digitizing all the prints. Huge headaches ahead. Funny enough, the biggest and most boring task will indeed be the digital part. Yuk.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin