Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,905   Online: 943

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    AHA! Thank you so much for explaining it to me!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello,

I'm reviving an old thread because, well, if you've seen my other thread, you know that I've procrastinated using the JOBO for B&W development. But I'm keen on changing that if possible.

So, having read the fantastic replies here on how the cold water solenoid works on the unit, I'm thinking about just bypassing it all together and pluming in my own inlet and outlet into the base of the unit. Both inlet and outlet would have ball valves that could be turned off. For the inlet side, I would put an aquarium pump between the chiller and the JOBO. The outlet would gravity feed back down to the chiller.

In this way, I can set the temp on the chiller unit (which is very precise and stable) and turn the heater on the jobo off and just allow the chiller to control the temp of the water bath in the JOBO during the summer months.

Does this make sense, or am I trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist when I could simply develop at 75 instead of 68? I would like to have year round consistence in my negatives and have always used ice to regulate the temp when doing hand development. I have also considered plumbing the chiller into the sink for hand developing, but if I can get negatives I like out of the JOBO (yet to be decided) I would rather just go this route.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Cherry View Post
    Does this make sense, or am I trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist when I could simply develop at 75 instead of 68? .
    In my experience, the temperature in my darkroom is rarely much above 20C, Even when the outside temperature is over 30, inside it is somewhat cooler. The issue is that when the tap water is warmer than 20C, the unit can't cool it down, and in that case, just putting a 1L bottle of ice in the tempering bath quickly brings the temperature down to 20, and the thermostat and heater then hold it at 20. Unless I have a huge quantity of film to develop, the 1L of ice keeps me at temp for plenty of time to get several batches of film developed.

So for me - it really isn't an issue. Perhaps if I lived in a warmer climate it would be more of an issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin