Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,018   Online: 679

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ASA 400 film

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Foma 400 is my main goto film in both 120 and 35mm, I love the tonality of the film, as far as grain goes yes, the 35mm can be very grainy, but bI rather like the grain , the 120 is not to bad, grainier than ilford/kodak films, but at the degree of enlargement I don't notice it on 120. I develop it in stock D76 for 8 minutes and get lovely sharp negatives that print well, and I have printed up to 20/24 with it, although normally my standard paper is 9 1/2 by 12, I also develop it in Rodinal 1/50 and it is even better tonality and very sharp indeed, as far as speed I have shot at box speed, but prefer 320,
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's an example of it in 35mm. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343168090.684075.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	54405
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Here's an example of it in 35mm. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343168090.684075.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	54405
    Thomas,
    Thanks for posting the image. That looks great to me. It would make me happy. After seeing some positive input, I will give it a try. Both 120 & 35mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had really good luck with this film in both 35mm and 120 and I use it quite frequently. This example was taken in the fall of last year on 35mm with my Pentax LX, developed in Rodinal 1:25, and printed on Arista EDU Ultra RC VC. This was an early print (one of my first) and I do want to go back and try again but I wasn't terribly disappointed. Any faults certainly are not the film's doing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pioneer,
    Thanks for posting the image. I would be pleased with that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Like the rest said. It is not the "best" film but how do you define the best. Try it out and see for yourself. Also you really must process and print your own film and give it a chance to see what it can do. I like this film a lot but it is not my "favorite" film for general use but there are times when it is the BEST. However that is just my opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    Like the rest said. It is not the "best" film but how do you define the best. Try it out and see for yourself. Also you really must process and print your own film and give it a chance to see what it can do. I like this film a lot but it is not my "favorite" film for general use but there are times when it is the BEST. However that is just my opinion.
    Brian,
    I ordered some from Freestyle today. I do process my own, so will jump in and see where it goes. I don't expect it to be a favorite, as I generally prefer 100 & 200 ASA film. Still, I wanted to try a faster film for hand holding a Fuji 645.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For a variety of reasons, Fomapan 400 is one of my go-to films these days. Part of its charm is its low tech retro look. I'm mostly shooting it in 135, but I've also tried it in 120, it so happens handheld in a Fuji 645.

Wind Action by Leighgion, on Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leighgion View Post
    For a variety of reasons, Fomapan 400 is one of my go-to films these days. Part of its charm is its low tech retro look. I'm mostly shooting it in 135, but I've also tried it in 120, it so happens handheld in a Fuji 645.

Wind Action by Leighgion, on Flickr
    Super images on Flickr. And... it makes me happy that some were with the GA645 and Foma/Arista 400. Very well done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin