Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,438   Online: 904

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASA 400 film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

ASA 400 film

Has anyone tried Arista/Foma 400 film in 120 lately? What are your thoughts on this film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Grainy and for the most part not a 400 speed film. I had to go below ISO 200 for decent results. But some people do get good results with it. So like any film, if you put the effort in you can get the results. But overall Inferior (unless you love the look) to other 400 films. My opinion of course.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What was your developer? I shot at box speed, developed in Pyrocat and had very nice results. It responds a lot better to filters than Acros, which I find interesting.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by padraigm View Post
    Grainy and for the most part not a 400 speed film. I had to go below ISO 200 for decent results. But some people do get good results with it. So like any film, if you put the effort in you can get the results. But overall Inferior (unless you love the look) to other 400 films. My opinion of course.
    Thanks for your input. I will probably stick with 100 & 200.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Now Foma 200 (at least in 35mm) is a very nice film... Need to try in 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by padraigm View Post
    Now Foma 200 (at least in 35mm) is a very nice film... Need to try in 120
    I really like it in 120. Also their ASA 100. Maybe as well as ACROS.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The 100 is lovely, but I get very high contrast with a yellow filter attached. Acros is second to none and just as cheap. Highly, highly recommended.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Foma 400 is wonderful film, and depending on what developer you use, it's either somewhat grainy, or very grainy. It isn't very sharp, though, and from that standpoint it reminds me a lot of the old Agfa APX 400.

I personally like the tonality I get, and it prints very well in the darkroom. I don't use it because of the backing paper; it feels as though it wouldn't be as easy on the film back and transport as that of Kodak, Ilford, or Fuji film would be.

It's not a bad film, just not a favorite.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shot a little bit of it and found it to be fine, but with nothing that jumped out and made it special. As far as I remember I got box speed in HC-110, though.

The 400-speed field is pretty strongly occupied by TX and HP5---to my mind a film would have to offer something pretty striking for me to choose it over one of those.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    127 Format
    I love Foma 400 in 120. I use D-76 or HC-110 and really like it. I shoot it at 400.

I use it in box cameras, Diana, Minolta TLR, Mamiya 645 and sometimes in 35mm. But I like it more in 120.
    - Bill Lynch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin