Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,717   Posts: 1,514,832   Online: 912

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I was kind of shying away from Xtol because I really love the easy to mix one shot syrup of HC110 or the similar one shot ease of Rodinal. I develop in a home bathroom so I didn't want to get in to the whole 5 glass bottle thing, but I just discovered this wine bladder idea and now I'm reconsidering.
    Anyone else have any thoughts on D76 vs Xtol for 1600 try-x?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mexipike View Post
    I was kind of shying away from Xtol because I really love the easy to mix one shot syrup of HC110 or the similar one shot ease of Rodinal. I develop in a home bathroom so I didn't want to get in to the whole 5 glass bottle thing, but I just discovered this wine bladder idea and now I'm reconsidering.
    Anyone else have any thoughts on D76 vs Xtol for 1600 try-x?
    If you don't want to get into Xtol, then D76 is a lot more accessible being available in smaller packets. The difference you are likely to see between the two is that Xtol will give you more shadow detail and slightly finer grain. D76 will give you more apparent sharpness, and the advantage of only needing to mix one liter.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    With the wine bladder idea I'm accepting the 5 liter situation. I recall when I used Xtol I liked it as a standard developer for pretty much every film. A lot of my friends have been having me develop their negs and I think Xtol would be perfect to keep it simple for them too.

So is xtol 1:3 the consensus for 1600?

Thanks so much for the replies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'll have to pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand what about XTOL is so complicated. It's two bags, mixed in a 5L jug, and then poured into the tank for developing. Doesn't it only get complicated when you start mixing it at anything other than stock? Stock has seemed to work for me this far, but then my work probably isn't near the caliber of everyone else's, and as I said you'll have to pardon my ignorance on the matter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I don't really think it's that complicated. A lot of people worry about it going bad without warning so like to keep it in 5 1 liter amber glass bottles to keep it from contacting air. That's not complicated either, though a little bit of a hassle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If your shooting and developing, why would it have time to go bad though? Mayonnaise would go bad too if it weren't consumed.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Good point, and that's kind of my thoughts. I'm still going to put it in a wine bladder to be safe and I feel like drinking 5 liters of wine. You can usually smell mayonaise and tell if it's bad but Xtol just goes bad with no indication. Though simple film strip tests can help check for it.

So I guess the point is you're right, Xtol's no big deal and I just ordered some.

Anyone else have any comments on 1600 with xtol or other developers?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Good point, and that's kind of my thoughts. I'm still going to put it in a wine bladder to be safe and I feel like drinking 5 liters of wine. You can usually smell mayonaise and tell if it's bad but Xtol just goes bad with no indication. Though simple film strip tests can help check for it.

So I guess the point is you're right, Xtol's no big deal and I just ordered some.

Anyone else have any comments on 1600 with xtol or other developers?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    One thing you might want to bear in mind with Xtol is the minimum amount of developer recommended per roll (I think it's 100ml). This may come into play at the higher dilutions depending on what sort of tank you use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michael stevens View Post
    One thing you might want to bear in mind with Xtol is the minimum amount of developer recommended per roll (I think it's 100ml). This may come into play at the higher dilutions depending on what sort of tank you use.
    That applies to all developers.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin