Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,764   Posts: 1,484,068   Online: 1127

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Tri-X @ 1600 developer sharp and dirty.

I know there are plenty of discussions about this and I've searched through them but just wanted some more thoughts. I had stopped my film for a little while and had been shooting digital but came back to film, and acquired a Leica M6 with a 50 summicron. Arista has the rebranded tri-x for such a great price and I always used to love it so that's the route I want to take.For the world I like to shoot 1600 is the perfect iso, I tend to like dark bars, cantinas, strip clubs etc. So I'm looking for developer ideas. The main goal is sharpness. I really love a razor sharp face. I may use flash sometimes as well. Grain is not an issue, good tonality would also be nice. In the past I used HC110 at 1:100 in a semi stand setup but am not sure if that's for me. I also used Xtol but rarely to 1600. The other day I tried rodinal just agitating the first minute then stand for an hour, and thought it was Ok. Does anyone really love 35mm trix at 1600 in Rodinal? I loved Pyrocat when i used to use it but will it do 1600?

So to simplify the question: Favorite developer for 135 Tri-X pushed to 1600 with emphasis on Sharpness.

P.S. I'm mostly scanning now but plan to get back into printing soon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been very happy with my results pushing Tri-X to 1600. Have tried souping a couple different ways.

D76 1+1

Crushing the American Spirit by Leighgion, on Flickr

1:100 Rodinal Stand

Girl on a Boat by Leighgion, on Flickr

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What about Diafine ? It gives the best results (IMO) at 1250 but i think it's ok at 1600. Especially with Tri-x (and arista of course)

And, it's is a very flexible developper.
    All the best,
    Rom

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'd suggest giving Xtol another try. I like it 1:1 for 13.5 minutes with the standard Kodak recommended agitation.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's a little offbeat, but I've had good luck with D-23 1:1 at 16 minutes, 68ºf. The negs are denser than those from X-tol or Diafine, but print well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Xtol 1+3 makes a mighty sharp negative. At EI 1,600 I would recommend starting somewhere around 18 minutes, agitating every 2 minutes for ten seconds, fully inverting and twisting the tank two or three times. This combination gives a huge amount of shadow detail, and almost normal looking negatives in spite of two stops underexposure.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, Xtol gets you great speed. When I found out that Arista was TriX I started buying it in bulk rolls, what a bargain! I've completely standardized on Xtol now, 1:1 at 'normal' speed, 1:3 at 1600, almost fool-proof

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom View Post
    What about Diafine ? It gives the best results (IMO) at 1250 but i think it's ok at 1600. Especially with Tri-x (and arista of course)

And, it's is a very flexible developper.
    Agree with most of this and I use it regularly with Arista/Tri-X but I don't think it's as sharp as most of the other suggestions here. Sharp enough for me but if sharp is what you want I think Xtol will easily best it especially at 1+3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually plain old D76 1+3 would probably look sharper than XTOL 1+3 with Tri-X.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot Tri-X at 1600 and 3200 more often than I shoot it at 400 or 200.

A lot more often. I like to use straight D-76, or straight Acufine, or DD-X 1:9, with lots of agitation.

For even more fun I use a Red 25 on my lens (either a 35/1.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, or 105/1.8)

It's an acquired taste. You've been warned.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin