Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,461   Online: 1067

Shooter
    35mm

Replenish or 1:1

Some years ago, I used X-tol replenished in a Kodak hard rubber tank. That worked well, but I was doing 12-15 rolls of Tri-X a week. Now I'm down to about 5 a week and don't want to use the hard rubber tanks - they take up too much room. Can I replenish using the working solution in a 1 ltr. bottle or do I have to have a larger amount of working solution? Is replenishment a good idea with this volume of film, or would 1:1 and discard work better? Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes 1-liter works fine.

Yes it's a good idea.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd use 2 or 2.5 litres as it would be more consistent than 1 litre, but 1 will work. Far better than 1+1.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The two liter working solution will not handicap you if you do 5 rolls a week. While I used to do a lot more, nowadays my average is about one roll a week, and the two liter solution works beautifully for that, and is very consistent. I vote for replenished.

If you want to use diluted Xtol stock as single shot, I recommend using it 1+3, as it is the closest to replenished Xtol in tonality (but has longer developing time).
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What size are your developing tanks?

I use HC110 in a replenishment regime. I use a 1.25 litre bottle to hold my working solution, because in at least one configuration my tanks take 600 ml, and this permits using two developing tanks at the same time.

I prefer the 1.25 litre bottle to the 2 litre versions, because I have very little storage space for mixed chemistry, and the 2 litre bottles are too tall
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by presspass View Post
    Some years ago, I used X-tol replenished in a Kodak hard rubber tank. That worked well, but I was doing 12-15 rolls of Tri-X a week. Now I'm down to about 5 a week and don't want to use the hard rubber tanks - they take up too much room. Can I replenish using the working solution in a 1 ltr. bottle or do I have to have a larger amount of working solution? Is replenishment a good idea with this volume of film, or would 1:1 and discard work better? Thanks.
    I would use 1:1 and discard and this may make you more discerning to cut down to even less than 5 a week.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin