Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,659   Online: 640

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I'm thinking it was the roll of TriX I was planning on pushing to 1600. Should I do an EV evaluation and then develop it as if it was shot at 400 or something like that? I'd really appreciate if you guys can help me with this because I got some great shots on it :/ As my family would say, "c'est la vie"....
    I take donations for beer and film​.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's more than likely toast , a 1/2 second is a really long time. If it was still on a film spool, then the inner parts are probably ok. If it was unwound from the spool and just in a heap, not so much.
    It's not likely that a clip test will tell you much, except that it's fogged. Just process it as 400 and hope for the best.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    These are my arguments for pushing as you originally planned:

The test that gave me 2.89 density in 5 seconds at EV -1 on 400 film... was developed "as if" I had pushed it two stops (it has Contrast Index between 1.0 and 1.1). The approximate light I gave the film that turned it black was 5 meter-candle-seconds.

Judging from my graph, six stops down from what I popped* will be printable. Without knowing your light, I have to assume it was brighter than -1 EV, but say it was 1 EV for 1/4 second. That's little brighter, but lots less time. My guess... two stops in the right direction. Now you only need to have blocked 4 stops of light from the film to at least see the picture. Were you or was a piece of furniture between the light and film? The spiral of the film will have protected a great deal of the film.

A full pop on any part of your pictures would wipe it out no matter how you develop it. Those parts of the image that only got a little fog light (*1/10th of a meter-candle-second or less) will benefit from the development you originally planned.

Shooter
    35mm
    Develop it and see where it goes, also, why not invest in like a little cover that goes over the light switch so you have to lift it to turn the lights on/off?
    My bedroom is a bedroom/darkroom combo seeing as I am in a shared house... but my paranoia with important film means I roll film onto the reels in my empty walk in wardrobe (with the door closed and made light tight) and that incidentally is where I put my trays for printing...

The worst I have done when drunk is ruined several sheets of paper by using the wrong safelight by mistake... Best stay out of the darkroom when drunk
    If it was fully loaded onto the reel then maybe only a few frames were toast, depends on the angle of light entering the gaps in the spiral and/or you standing over the reel in a certain way etc etc do post your results! if it was a high ISO say 1600 or 3200 it would probably be toast! 400 as you seem to have you might go lucky, process it as 400 if you really do need to push it for the shots you took, go 800 if need be but keep pushing and the damage/fog done by the lights will be intensified.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ladies and Gentlemen, I have developed the roll.

You convinced me that the only thing on there would be complete toast or at 1600 so I developed in D-76 for 1600. First 10 shots and the edge markings are completely black. After that, it gets better until the last 10 shots are pretty intact except for a little fogging. 2 or 3 frames didn't get fogged at all, including the one I really wanted to turn out. I was at a dueling piano bar and two girls in front of me perfectly framed a pianist. They somehow knew I was taking a picture and turned around to apologize for getting in my shot :P Then I got it when they went back to their original spots.

Thanks a lot, everyone. Like usual the people here pull through.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use a bathroom as darkroom, and to make sure no accidents can happen I scotch the light switch in "off" position when starting.
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a push-button light switch in the bathroom I use. I don't know many techniques that could prevent intentionally​ turning the light on. Perhaps sobriety?

Shooter
    35mm
    Auch!

Yup, no booze in the dark, that will most probably turn out bad no matter what....
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    35mm
    Glad the shot you really wanted to turn out, turned out! A shame the other shots were lost but i guess they were just unlucky!
    Lesson learned, dont go into the darkroom drunk!

Shooter
    35mm
    Advice taken, lesson learned!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin