Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,100   Online: 1217

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

flashed some undeveloped film... help!

I was trying to load my reel with a little too much to drink and accidentally flicked the light on in the room for 1/2 second or far less even.

Could I push or pull it a little bit and try to salvage something good? How much would you recommend?
    I take donations for beer and film​.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ouch! don't know what you can do, except just develope it. You will have fogging no matter what, but to what extent is determined by how long the flash duration. Note that the fogged area is determined by where the reel was when flashed.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm
    it was essentially laying flat on the ground.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Test it. It's the only way you can find out. But 1/2 second with room lights on is a pretty long time, if you consider what type of shutter times you normally see at that light level.

If it's Delta 3200 or TMZ, then it's probably toast. If it's Efke 25 or Ilford Pan-F, you might see a miracle. Relatively, that same amount of light is six to seven times stronger seen by a 3200 film compared to an ISO 25 film.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post

Relatively, that same amount of light is six to seven times stronger seen by a 3200 film compared to an ISO 25 film.
    Isn't it 64 to 128 times stronger?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I agree - develop it anyway.

If you can estimate the light on the floor, for example I just read EV 1.8 on the floor of my darkroom with the white light on. I made a film test last night with EV -1 for 5 seconds and that made the 400 speed film black, 2.89 density.

If I did the same, maybe 1/5th second would be enough to blacken the edges. But any factor working in your favor will help: Standing in the way, the angle of light entering the spiral, etc.

My guess, the edges are black, some streaks will occur on alternating frames, but some frames will probably only have blackened edges...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buje View Post
    Isn't it 64 to 128 times stronger?
    I meant stops... So, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 - yes.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Unfortunately you just have to process it. Trying to adjust the processing to account for the light might work but there's no way to tell what effect the light had on each individual frame. When I was in photo class, many years ago, we paired off to learn to load film reels. We did this in the printing area of the darkroom, with each pair of students at an enlarger. You see where this is going... My partner managed to hit the timer while we were loading our tank. Some frames were ruined, some were printable. It's hard to say in advance what you'll get.

Shooter
    35mm
    It was far less than half a second. It was a push button switch I basically just pushed it twice as fast as possible but.... we'll see. It was actually a pretty important roll of film for me :/ NO MORE DRUNK DEVELOPING! lesson learned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This photo came from a roll that popped open when I dropped on the sidewalk. I had just rewound the film and was taking it out of the camera to put it into a canister. I fumbled the camera and, the moment the cartridge hit the ground, I knew by the sound that the cap had popped off.

Luckily, the film didn't fall out of the cartridge. Only the end cap came off.
    I have a few of the old, metal film canisters that Kodak used to ship film in. I quickly picked up the cartridge, stuffed it into one of those metal canisters and screwed the lid on tight.

When I developed the film, everything up to the sprocket holes was toast but only a very thin strip along the bottom of the image was burned. When I made the print, I was able to crop it out.
    It ended up being cropped a hair bit more than I wanted but it worked out anyway.

A half second is a long time for film to be exposed but, I agree, develop it anyway. You might get lucky.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5877793448_31776166db_d.jpg  
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin