Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,933   Online: 801

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Agreed with above, FP4+ is the way to go for your purposes. FP4 is pretty much a good all rounder. It is also very forgiving, much more so than other films of a similar type.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you ever get to see an original John Blakemore print from a 5x4 inch FP4 negative made on the old Agfa Record-Rapid, you might change your mind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used Plus-X and FP4+ side by side, and I really don't think that the prints are much different at all. They can easily go side by side, and there will be very little distinction between the two. That's my experience anyway. They are more similar than they are different.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some would argue that Agfapan 100 was the real loss to the world.

To me almost anything was/is better than Plus-X. But I guess it is sort of like ice cream, there has to be a reason they make 97 different flavors, of which I only eat about 5.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, Ilford FP4+ is a very smooth film. But I don't think it has the subtle dark tone gradation of Plus X, nor the midtone presense.

Most B+W films "give up" or "surrender" in the shadows. Not Kodak Plus X.

No sense in crying over spilled milk though. I will probably go with FP4+ and Tri- X (even though at ASA 400, unexposed Kodak Tri X won't keep as long as Kodak 125 Plus X frozen).

I got some interesting portraits on Agfa APX 100 in soft lighting developed Rodinal. It was a "hard", unsophisticated film. I don't understand it's allure.

Oh, and I have two rolls of Agfa APX 25 in the freezer. (For some reason I marked on pkg. "Expose at ASA 6"??)
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was a time many years ago when I was not happy using HC-110. It just seemed the 2-3 films I tried just did not have the look I liked and I wondered why people loved it so much. In particular the Tri-X I developed in HC-110 was a real let down for me. So I started using other developers and films. One day I saw a portfolio of gorgeous B&W images. I mean they were almost perfect! The tonality just what I was after. Amazing. I then found out it was Tri-X film and that the photographer used HC-110 exclusively. Imagine that. The problem was with me.
    Last edited by Richard Sintchak (rich815); 07-26-2012 at 10:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FP4 can do the job you want - you may just have to learn how to get it to do what you want. It might be that slightly different development (in terms of time or agitation, or in terms of development choice) might be required.

I do my traditional emulsions in PMK, and I always found that Plus-X had much too high general stain compared to FP4 - so I prefer FP4 . Still, I am going to miss Plus-X. It has its own charms. Thankfully I still have a few rolls left.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Still, I am going to miss Plus-X. It has its own charms. Thankfully I still have a few rolls left.
    x2. I had the good fortune of buying a bunch of PX-120 unwittingly just prior to cancellation (and the sharp rise in price). I'll miss it when that stash is gone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    x2. I had the good fortune of buying a bunch of PX-120 unwittingly just prior to cancellation (and the sharp rise in price). I'll miss it when that stash is gone.
    Me too. I won an auction of 88 rolls a couple years back from a pro clearing his freezer as he went digital. Paid only about $90! But I'm running out I use it! (of course!) Cannot decide which I treasure more: my remaining stash of 120 Neopan 400 or 120 Plus-X!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    Yes, Ilford FP4+ is a very smooth film. But I don't think it has the subtle dark tone gradation of Plus X, nor the midtone presense.

Most B+W films "give up" or "surrender" in the shadows. Not Kodak Plus X.
    None of the 100-125 ISO B&W films I've used over the years has "given up" or "surrenedered" the shadow detail, that's down to how we as photographers control our film's tonality by exposure and development. That includes FP4, Tmax and Delta 100, AP/APX100 and more recently Fomapan 100, lus a few rolls of Acros.

It's a case of learning how different films respond and making necessary adjustments to achieve the resul;ts you#re after. only the Foma films in my experience need significantly different development times.

Ian.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin