Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,403   Online: 782

Page 1 of 15 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Kodak 125 Plus X Best B&W Film All Time

I was distracted with other things and missed the cancellation of Kodak 125 Plus X in 120 format. Serious Bummer.

What I liked best about Kodak 125 Plus X is the subtle gradations from the midtones to the blacks. It's a film with "meat" - a "colorful" black and white film, for those who know what I mean. Good prints from Pyro or regular developers.

So what film currently available in 120 is most similar to Kodak 125 Plus X in terms of midtones to the blacks tonal reproduction?

For those who might reply, "Ilford FP4+" - I agree FP4+ is a really good film, but no.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, FP4+.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've moved (from Plus-X, which I LOVED) to Fuji's Neopan 100 (let's see how long that lasts), and I like the results, but I think it's a bit punchier, contrast-wise than Plus-X...

It's inexpensive too, but only if you order from the US - in Japan (I discovered last month), it's not much cheaper than any other 120 film!

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by munz6869 View Post
    I've moved (from Plus-X, which I LOVED) to Fuji's Neopan 100 (let's see how long that lasts), and I like the results, but I think it's a bit punchier, contrast-wise than Plus-X...

It's inexpensive too, but only if you order from the US - in Japan (I discovered last month), it's not much cheaper than any other 120 film!

Marc!
    I figure you mean Acros? Great film, I love it but absolutely nothing like Plus-X. Shanghai GP3 is rumored to be based on the Plus-X formula if actually not Plus-X itself from back when Kodak cooperated with film production in China. I use it a lot having securely a load of it in my travels to see my wife's family there. However I've heard it too might not be around much longer either. Otherwise while not quite the same FP-4 is a wonderful film.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never used Plus-X all that much. I used Pan-X outdoors or Tri-X in low light. When Kodak discontinued Pan-X I switched to Ilford Pan-F. Plus-X always seemed to be a "jack of all trades, master of none" film, either too fast or too slow for the subjects I was filming.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Foma 100... Can't say why except that it has serious character and enough "meet". I loved Plus-X and I love Foma 100 probably for the same reasons.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The general consesnsus here in the UK was always that FP4 was a much better film than Plus X, that was my own experience as well.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I agree, still shoot fp4 in all formats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    The general consesnsus here in the UK was always that FP4 was a much better film than Plus X, that was my own experience as well.

Ian

Shooter
    127 Format
    Nothing else is like Plus-X.

Substitutions, sure, but no replacements.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FP4+ is the closest in terms of gradation and image characteristics, although in my experience it is slightly better than Plus-X on all counts. It is every bit as "colorful" a B&W film as Plus-X, works with every developer out there, and stains beautifully in Pyro. Gradation from shadows through midtones, and the rest of the scale for that matter, is second to none.

Page 1 of 15 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin