Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,650   Online: 687

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    It might help to say what size or format film you are asking about? Fuji makes B&W film, but don’t look for it in the USA in 8x10 or anywhere in ULF. Kodak now offers 8x10 and above in 10 sheet boxes priced as if there were 25 sheets. For quite some time Kodak has been offering 7x17 film, once a year or two, in 10 sheet boxes that are 16”x20”. Imagine the need to freeze 200-800 sheets for a two year supply in less than a walk in restaurant freezer.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And, with ISO 9001 - even when having the certification, and the subsequent processes in place, is not a guarantee that the quality will be of a certain level.

To deliver a quality products is something an organization has as a goal, and ISO 9001 is one way or reinforcing an image of that dedication to customers and stakeholders, but as nworth eloquently explains, does not constitute any guarantees. I guess actions speak louder than words is what I'm saying.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Yes these are the first tier films. The quality control of all others is not professional quality.

You don't consider Rollei first-tier? I ask because everything I've read about their IR-400 has extolled its quality. Has your experience not been good?

Shooter
    35mm
    Rollei don't make any film so far as I can make out. Their products are from Agfa, frequently re-named aero-photography products, or from a 'UK manufacturer' (Ilfords white-label range) etc. etc. Nothing wrong with this, as they are supplying things that would otherwise be tough to source, but they don't actually make the films.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    Rollei don't make any film so far as I can make out. Their products are from Agfa, frequently re-named aero-photography products, or from a 'UK manufacturer' (Ilfords white-label range) etc. etc. Nothing wrong with this, as they are supplying things that would otherwise be tough to source, but they don't actually make the films.
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that Agfa and/or Ilford made the Rollei films.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    > I wasn't aware that Agfa and/or Ilford made the Rollei films.

Rollei Retro 80s is Agfa Aviapan 80.
    Rollei Retro 400s = Rollei Superpan 200 is Agfa Aviapan 200.
    Both films can be used with a 720nm IR filter

Rollei RPX 100 is Ilford Kentmere 100.
    Rollei RPX 400 is Ilford Kentmere 400.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    35mm
    Maco/Rollei apparently does converting and packing of film mostly from the Agfa Aviation film range.

Foma makes their own film, and although I have heard gripes from time to time, it is good stuff for the most part. Their 35mm seems to made a touch long so I can sometimes squeeze out an Extra shot.

I have personally experience the Number print through problem with EFKE roll film. There product is a bit unique as it is based on a 1950 era design, and it is good stuff in 35mm.

The three top tier suppliers are still Kodak, Ilford and Fuji. with only Illford having a fairly complete range of B&W.

AGFA only makes film for industrial users these days, so Mako is doing us a favour by packaging it for still cameras, on the other hand the Air survey film does have some strange properties.

There were three suppliers in China, Lucky Film, Shanghai Photo and ERA but the products do vary a great deal in quality, and the supply chain is a bit murky. I had one roll of Lucky 120 where the film was folded back on itself, so their Quality control is lacking.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ilford make excellent high quality film, chemicals and paper, are comitted to b&w, and are not bankrupt so their film is likely to remain available.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    B+W film will continue through our lifetimes (Shanghai, Lucky, Whatchamacallit, etc), but in terms of professionally manufacture quality... Let's just say that when I get my freezer I will be stockpiling low ASA films from Kodak Fuji Ilford *just in case*.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Rollei brand films in my opinion out-perform "the big 3" in tonality & sharpness. I've never had a single problem with Efke, nor the few times I've used Foma.

Since Kodak has discontinued just about all of their films I used (including dropping their entire E6 line), I'm not too happy with them, and Fuji dropped Neopan 400 in 120 & discontinued 1600. Plus, I don't like their color films at all.

Fortunately Rollei has some E6 film to try, and hopefully that will fill the void.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin