Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,090   Online: 717

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Professional Quality B+W Film Manufacturers, Circa 2012 - Who?

Who is currently making B+W film at a high quality control and professional level? I am referring to quality of materials, clean process, no wierd things going on such as paper backing showing up in image, undue film curling, emulsion separating/flaking from base, wide batch to batch variability, etc)

Already Know:

Kodak
    Fuji
    Ilford

But which other companies currently have professional quality manufacturing process for black and white film, if any?

Thanks in advance for all serious replies.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Fotokemika = Efke and Adox
    Foma
    I take donations for beer and film​.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agfa-Gevaert in Belgium produces some good films. A bit red sensitive though. They are sold under the Rollei label.

Dominik

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Agfa-Gevaert in Belgium produces some good films. A bit red sensitive though.

Dominik
    What do you mean? Thanks
    Last edited by Andre Noble; 07-26-2012 at 07:58 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by choppastyle View Post
    Fotokemika = Efke and Adox
    Foma
    No Fotokemika doesn't equate to Adox.

Adox is a brand noame owned by Fotoimpex, they sell some EFKE/Fotokemika films under te name but it's also used for films sourced elsewhere inc in the past Ilford. It's used as well for materials Fotoimpex are involved in bringing back, MCC papers former Agfa films, chemistry etc.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak, Ilford and Fuji are the only films I have not either experienced problems with, or heard/read of problems with.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    No Fotokemika doesn't equate to Adox.

Adox is a brand noame owned by Fotoimpex, they sell some EFKE/Fotokemika films under te name but it's also used for films sourced elsewhere inc in the past Ilford. It's used as well for materials Fotoimpex are involved in bringing back, MCC papers former Agfa films, chemistry etc.

Ian
    My mistake. Thanks for clearing that up.

About quality, Foma in the Czech Republic has the ISO 9001 (?) certification. I've heard their 200 speed had problems when it was first introduced, but maybe someone else more qualified than I can speak to its current quality. I only use Fomapan 100 and I've had no problems.
    I take donations for beer and film​.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only film company I've never had a quality problem with is Kodak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Kodak, Ilford and Fuji are the only films I have not either experienced problems with, or heard/read of problems with.
    Yes these are the first tier films. The quality control of all others is not professional quality.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by choppastyle View Post
    My mistake. Thanks for clearing that up.

About quality, Foma in the Czech Republic has the ISO 9001 (?) certification. I've heard their 200 speed had problems when it was first introduced, but maybe someone else more qualified than I can speak to its current quality. I only use Fomapan 100 and I've had no problems.
    ISO 9001 certification (which must be renewed periodically) assures that the firm has the procedures in place to deal with problems. Although those procedures also help to prevent problems, they can not guarantee that problems will not come up. Certification checks that the procedures are followed, but when away from the intense period around certification, it is hard to guarantee how well the procedures are followed. Some firms do very well, some not so well. Those that constantly adhere to the 9001 standard usually have exceptionally well run organizations, although they may be overly bureaucratic.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin