Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,512   Online: 1016

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Problems with brushes

I have ruined a good negative when I brushed it. Theoretically, I have an appropriate brush that I bought in Adorama. I want to add that this has not been the first time. Am I doing something wrong? I brush both sides of the film. Is this correct? Have you had the same problem with brushes? Any advice will be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Henry.

Shooter
    35mm
    Why are you brushing the negative? What damage have you found?

In general, brushing builds static charge and attracts dust, possibly that is not the case if you have a super-special radioactive anti-static brush but a blower (not canned-air) will do the job just fine.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What sort of brush are you using? Only a camel hair brush should be used on film.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a short-handled cosmetics brush that can be bought in most department stores. The bristles are natural and soft. I first use air from a child's ear syringe. If this doesn't work then brush. I have never experienced any scratching but I am very light handed.

Just because you buy an Item that is supposedly for photographic use doesn't mean that it is safe.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Alive View Post
    I have ruined a good negative when I brushed it. Theoretically, I have an appropriate brush that I bought in Adorama. I want to add that this has not been the first time. Am I doing something wrong? I brush both sides of the film. Is this correct? Have you had the same problem with brushes? Any advice will be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Henry.
    Did it catch fire? melt? :-) It would be great to know what you did and what the results were.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I apologize because I have been out of town, so I have not be able to answer your questions.
    I am working with the following brush, which I bought in Adorama: http://www.adorama.com/CPBCH1.html.
    As I said, I have scratched some negatives, so I am making something wrong. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Henry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a can of compressed air held far from the negatives to avoid unwanted chemical deposits.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin