Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,395   Online: 868

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Methods of Lightening Ilford MGIV Fiber Prints?

Hello,

I need to lower the density and contrast of prints exposed on Ilford MGIV Fiber paper. What bleach / toner (or other process) do you recommend?

I want to use a commercially available product from Freestyle Photo, Los Angeles - a few blocks away. Don't want to mix from scratch.

The prints are portraits of my graduating class, Suffice to say that they are about one contast filter grade too contrasty and +1 stop too dense. Nevertheless I want something nice and presentable for my students and their family.

Thanks in advance for knowledgeable and thoughtful replies.

(back story - Yesterday I exposed/developed test prints in aged Bromophen developer in a Nova slot processor to taste. Then exposed 3 copies each and kept those in paper safe overnight for development the next day. This morning, I mixed fresh Bromopohen developer and processed the stash of prints. Damnit! too dark too contrasty. The fresh developer developed prints more dense and contrasty then the old developer -Duh! . Took me two days to expose 17 negatives and I don't envision repeating it.)

Thanks again.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How are the highlights in the prints? Too light? If so there's no recovering them. If they are too dark, bleaching the print in a standard ferri bleach til desired result then re-fixing will work. If the highlights are ok but blacks too dark try full sepia toning.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, highlights are ok but blacks too dark.

My (limited) experience sepia toning says your suggestion would work beautifully for Graded bromide Paper such as Kentmere Bromide. But sepia toning of Ilford MGIV did not *seem* to lessen print density/contrast in the past for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So you are trying to reduce the density of black without affecting the highlight....? I don't think there is any way to do that, really - especially if you have to bring down the density by as much as one stop.

If you bleach your print and if your highlight is OK as is, you'll end up losing it entirely.

I don't think there's anyway to save this....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    Yes, highlights are ok but blacks too dark.

My (limited) experience sepia toning says your suggestion would work beautifully for Graded bromide Paper such as Kentmere Bromide. But sepia toning of Ilford MGIV did not *seem* to lessen print density/contrast in the past for me.
    Hmm, I'm stumped then. Others may have better suggestions. I'm not sure how to reduce density in shadows only other than fully sepia toning. In my experience works better with MGWT than MGIV.

And bleaching will lighten the highlights first, therefor increasing contrast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about something like this.

Use brown toner to tone to a point where highlight is completely toned but mid tones and shadow aren't. At this point, bleach the print very lightly and fix to remove excess build up of density. Then brown tone the rest.

Theoretically, it might work but by the time you find the correct timing, you may not have any print left to give out....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I found something in Tim Rudman Toning Book: Fotospeed Variable Sepia Tonet ST20 with a 10ml per 1000ml additive of NAOH - page 29 third step wedge.

Like you suggested, Brian full sepia toning. Hope Freestyle has it in stock.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I don't think there's anyway to save this....
    Local ferri bleaching with q-tips or sponge and then washing away the ferri with water, if the shadows aren't too big?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...use a weaker developer with more dilution and even pull it out earlier (1:30 instead of 2 min). I don't know any kinds off the top of my head. I personally would like to get more blacks in my prints and strive for that, so I'm not sure about the other way around.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    While I agree with jerevan on the bleaching, Andre didn't say what filter he was using with the multigrade paper. Why not reprint with a less contrasty filter or split grade printing?

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin