Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,693   Posts: 1,669,487   Online: 1071

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    When using bulk loads, I just pop the caps off the cassette with my fingers.

When using factory loads, I use a cassette opener like this one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	157-Opener.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	54504

But a church key will work in a pinch.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just pour my chemicals into the canister.... (just kidding!)

I pop open the canister.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    After rewinding, I leave some leader out, avoiding the hassle of retrieving the leader. In the dark bag, I pull the film out of the slot. The advantage of this is if something goes wrong, I can rewind the film. Also, it's easier for me to handle a cartridge than a spool while loading.

BTW, my Hewes reel arrived yesterday from Freestyle. Nice! Certainly superior to the no-name reels I've been using.

Mark Overton

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
    I open the canister as well, widen the opening and remove the film before spooling it.
    That's what I do, but in a bag.

I used to pull film out until once when shooting in sandy sweaty conditions, sand stuck to the velvet and had scratches the length of my film. Also I've had a couple accidental double exposure roles by not rewinding the film fully into the canister

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a canister opening tool (yes, I know...I should have just gotten a bottle opener for a lot less $$$...n00b mistake.) I go into a small bathroom and turn out all the lights in that and the surrounding rooms and have struggled loading the patterson tank with no light issues. BTW...any advice about dealing with/avoiding jammed reels? I ended up being so concerned about getting it into the reel after several attempts that I rushed and some of the film stuck during development ruining some of the images. I bought some bulk film and I will hopefully be able to simply pop the top off manually so I can reuse the canisters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I pop open with a church key. Sometimes it takes me forever to get it though ... Love my screw top reload able canisters!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey folks, thanks for all your advice. As I suspected there are two schools of thought with people doing what works best for them.

Thanks again

Chris

Shooter
    35mm
    I have tried many ways, and came back to using the "pry off the end" method. I actually recently got a Minilab leder extracter to try and found that it was almost more trouble than not.

The tool that works best of the A-P black cassette opener. although bulk loaded cassettes can just have the end pried off by hand. I did get the wall mount A-P opener, but find the hand held one easier to use.

One item to consider is having a black film can - like one from Ilford HP-5 or the older Kodak cans handy, just in case you have to stash the film in the dark if the tank gets balky.

With the AP opener, it is slightly easier to pry off the cap on the Big end of the cassette. I twist the spool in the rewind direction while pulling it out of the cassette.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just use a film leader retriever, takes only a few seconds and I can do it in daylight. I trim the end with scissors, then load it onto a stainless Nikor reel in the changing bag, snipping the end with a pair of blunt end scissors.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i usually just pop it open with a bottle opener. i find it easier, as i dont have to remain traction whilst loading the spool.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin