Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,047   Posts: 1,560,997   Online: 1115

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Loading the spool with 35mm film

I usually expose and develop 120 film but I've just bought myself a Nikon F4 and will be developing my fist roll of 35mm film for many years. My question is do people open up the 35mm canister, take the film out then load the spool, or do people pull the film through the velvet slot on the canister? I'm going to be using a changing bag and I'm pretty used to having metre or so of 120 film and backing paper floating around in there! Also if you open the 35mm canister, is there any good techniques to doing this?

BTW I must say the F4 is an awesome camera. goes well my Bronny SQAi and my panoramic pinhole.

Thanks

Chris

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Personally I always pull the film the velvet slot, and I have yet to have a problem in over 30 years, think about it, the film has already been though the cassette at least twice going though the camera and then being wound back,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    +1 for pulling through the slot. The less time in the "sauna" conditions of a changing bag the better. BTW, I find loading 35mm in a bag a real PITA, I've blacked out a small bathroom and load on the counter top, much easier.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    I open the canister top using a capsule opener (that I got for free from our local chinese takeaway) and pull out the spool.

I have a bathroom that I easily can cover up and use for spooling onto the reels and load my paterson tanks. It's a quite small room, no counter, so instead I have a plate of wood that entirely covers the zink, which I attach using a bagage strap around the plate and the zink.
    Last edited by Felinik; 07-28-2012 at 06:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I open the canister as well, widen the opening and remove the film before spooling it. All done in a darkroom (no bag).

Shooter
    35mm
    i pull out the film through the velvet. never had a problem really.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I pop the top of the cassette off(the one with the longer side of the spool protruding)with the side of a scissors,pull the spool out,cut the leader and load.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are many good reasons to rewind the film entirely into the cassette. I open the cassette in a dark bag using a bottle opener.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    People do both with equal success so neither method is better. Personally, I prefer to rewind with a bit of leader sticking out. This way I can trim the end, start it into the reel in daylight then finish loading in a dark bag. When I get to the end I tear the film against the exit slot so no need for scissors in the bag.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Personally when I rewind the film I leave a tiny bit of leader poking out so I can just pull out a bit, cut the leader off, feed the beginning of the film onto the reel by light of a torch in the darkroom, then pull it out in the dark bit by bit and wind it onto the reel. If your reel jams rather than trying to seal the film in something light tight you just wind it back into the cassette. When I get to the end I cut off the end from the cassette or tear it and wind that final bit onto the reel, job done

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin