Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,724   Online: 840

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dry Plates?

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Okay, I just checked over there. Ole, there's a typo in your link. That should be www.retrophotographic.com. It looks like Retrophotographic is now partnering with Fotoimpex.de, so maybe J&C could help us out here.
    We can get plates. The question is what is the total interest in these? What quantities and sizes? Is this a one time special order or something worth stocking? Let me know.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm not sure about the others, but I'd like to try them, and if they are photographically interesting and not absurdly expensive like the T-Max plates were, I'd probably order more. I'd mainly be interested in 5x7", but if only 4x5" were available, I'd take 4x5" for a trial.

The attractions for me would be--ultimate film flatness and the ability to contact print with only the plate and the paper in a frame rather than using a glass/film/paper sandwich. On the other hand, if the tonality of the emulsion is unattractive, then they wouldn't be worth the trouble to me.

Currently my capacity to use these would be 16 5x7" or 4x5" plates at a shoot, so I don't see it becoming a high-volume operation for me. I have a 12-shot 5x7" plate magazine and 2 5x7" plate holders, and I have 5x7-to-4x5 adapters that I can use in them. I also have 4x5" and 5x7" hangers that can be used for processing film or plates in deep tanks.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    I would be interested in 5x7 as well to see what they are like. I have printed from 100 year old plates and really liked what I saw. What I did not like was the fragility of them. Expense would be a big issue as well.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

5"x7" Dry Plates

I would also like to try some 5x7 plates. Re-ordering will depend on my results. I don't think I'm interested in anything smaller though.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Umf. I think all my plate holders are in cm sizes - I'll check my Linhof Universal 13x18 to see if 5x7" would fit (and stay in place)...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can do 4x5, 5x7, and 6 1/2 x 8 1/2. I can even split some with Tracey since we are close in the bay area.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This discussion has piqued my interest. Can someone talk a little about why they're attracted to plates, or at least provide an RTFM pointer to a useful thread here or elsewhere?

Thanks,

-KwM-

Images
    Film in holders does not guarantee ultimate film flatness. Glass plates, it is assumed do.

I printed 100 year old glass plates as part of my job in college there was something unique about them. Hard to explain what it was. It was also nice to contact print them without using the printing frame.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John, I'd like to try a small quantity of them, perhaps 10 to start, in 4x5 or 5x7. I don't have glass plate holders yet, so I'd want to know what stocks you'd be willing to import before I do that. Sounds like 5x7 is mentioned most in this thread.

Even if I discover that I like using them, I don't see myself ever using them a lot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even if I discover that I like using them, I don't see myself ever using them a lot.[/QUOTE]

I'd try a few as well - 4x5 and or 5x7. I seem to be accumulating old cameras and the flatness of the plates would be a great help. I admit to scanning a few 100 year old plates from my wife's great-grandfather's Rochester recently for a project I'm doing and marveling at the response of the scanner to the colors in the old silver. I inadvertently scanned in RGB instead of grayscale. Printing them in the darkroom was great, but the scanned images were even better (he says, despite the risk of banishment.)

Whitey

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin