Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,962   Online: 785

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dear Thomas,

Thank you for taking the time to write what you did, and everyone else for their comments.

I shall make sure that I post this in our notice boards so all of our staff can read it, it's they who make it...

Thanks to all who value and buy our products, we appreciate and value your business.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    Hello Simon,

Please do. It would be wonderful to know that somehow we were able to contribute to a feeling of pride and/or happiness about working at Ilford, letting the employees know how much us users love the products and the hard work and expertise put into them.
    Your efforts are well appreciated too, Simon, being the face of a manufacturer among the 'rogue posse' that we are here at APUG (speaking only for myself, of course... ). As you often see, it is mentioned time and again how people plead to using Ilford products because of the company having a presence here, putting a face to the Ilford name, showing concern when something goes wrong and trying to fix things that some are unhappy with. That personal touch is worth a lot to me as well, and while it isn't the main reason for me using Ilford products, the effort is very well regarded.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm all Ilford now: Delta 400, MG IV and MG Warmtone.

I'm just getting started printing again, so it's good to hear that different batches of paper don't have different speeds.
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hear hear - all Ilford paper and chems for me since forever - but I can't leave Rodinal/Adonal, and I still use Tri-X & Neopan/Acros, and even the odd 'Rollei' film... I guess I support you ALL!!!

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    After some deliberation recently I think this thread has just about convinced me to commit to black and white (perhaps for good this time), which has always been Ilford for me. I've had a hiatus with colour, but shot Delta before and on the odd occasion during this period. It's always given me great peace of mind knowing how committed Ilford is to traditional materials. A great reason to be patriotic.

Thanks Thomas for the inspiration and to Ilford for keeping us going.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    ...A great reason to be patriotic...
    Remember, even for Ilford, it's an extremely complex product for a very niche market. OK to wave the flag, but don't forget to wave the money.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    35mm
    Absolutely right. You have to support those who give us excellent, consistent products, and even bring out new ones.
    When my small stock of Tri-X is gone, (the only thing I use anymore that isn't Ilford), it's HP5 for me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    When my small stock of Tri-X is gone, (the only thing I use anymore that isn't Ilford), it's HP5 for me.
    Whoa, let's not be too hasty here...

s-9.75 min.-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been 'mixing in' some HP5 over the last year, and to be honest, I like it just as much. I shot Tri-X for a long time, and am used to it, and HP5 definitely has a different look. But, it takes time to really get used to a film, and (a), liking HP5 a lot, and (b), not knowing if Tri-X will be around much longer, it's time to take the plunge.
    I'm not a Kodak basher, I just don't know if they're going to end up still making film.
    And, I want to support Ilford, because they support us.
    Last edited by hdeyong; 07-31-2012 at 01:11 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added thought

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another area of consistency by Harman/Ilford that deserves recognition and praise is more subtle. It's not often mentioned because it used to be more or less the norm for all.

Consistency in product lines.

These guys just don't discontinue anything. Well, maybe a slow moving developer here or there. But absolutely none of the wholesale axing of entire product lines we often cringe over. And when they do pull something, more often than not it's balanced by the addition of something else, such as postcard paper, selenium toner, etc. Even cool new LF pinhole cameras, of all things! In other words, just normal—or what used to be normal—product line tweaking.

I'd guess this policy has as much to do with people switching to and sticking with Ilford as their product manufacturing consistency. Peace of mind is worth a LOT these days. It's primarily because of Ilford that I continue to build out my camera and darkroom equipment setups. I wouldn't be spending all this money if I didn't believe Ilford was going to continue to do everything possible to stay in the game.

So heartfelt thanks to everyone at Ilford who make it all possible. You guys are da' bomb!*

Ken

* An age inappropriate use of Internet slang teminology by Ken, who should know better. But hey—if it ain't dementia then it must be true happiness...

"They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin