Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,664   Online: 808

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thank you Ilford for your consistency!

I just wanted to write a few lines to thank Ilford for the consistency and quality of their product. I am an amateur who tries very hard to create something that's of value to me, of the highest quality, and worthwhile. I want my prints to communicate strongly, to be something with deep impact, both visually and emotionally. This is my goal, and Ilford helps me get there.

On my darkroom shelf rests a couple of thousand sheets of paper. Many of them are expired and used for lith printing. But I'm running out of my staple, 11x14" and 16x20" Ilford MGIV matte fiber paper, and don't have any income to spare to buy more at the moment (buying a car is expensive). So to make the most of the stock that I have, I decided to use some 8x10 paper, of which I have plenty, to make the test prints that I make before I get down to business with the final print. It's a different size, and a different batch, yet between the 8x10 sheets and the 11x14/16x20 ones I can't tell any difference in speed or contrast. They are identical for all practical purposes.

I was expecting a little bit of difference between work print main exposure and contrast (on 8x10), and that of the final print (on 11x14 or 16x20), but NONE. Exactly the same. That sort of consistency, box to box, batch to batch, helps me keep cost down in the darkroom, and that is of vital importance to me. So thank you Ilford for making such good product. You're an amazing resource to the traditional black and white photographic community. Keep up the fantastic work!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Amen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    + infinity.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hear, hear! Switched to Ilford papers in the '70s and never looked back.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Nice post Thomas! The truth!
    Andy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Since the whole Kodak meltdown, I have switched to FP4 and HP5, most likely forever, or until the end of time, whichever comes first.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 (and then some). Excepting Tri-X, which to my eye is irreplaceable, all my black and white work has been done on Ilford products for some time now. No doubt HP5 Plus will eventually be added to my arsenal, but until Kodak's final implosion...

Shooter
    35mm
    I print in a public darkroom so have no control of what they use for paper development/stop/fixing.

Having said that, the only non-iford product I purchase myself is the fixer for film processing -- I need one that does not stink up the bathroom where I process film Other than that, I use Delta 400/DD-X/Ilford FB and RC paper/Ilford cotrast filters. I much appreciate Ilford's quality control and commitment to BW photography.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Thomas,

Thank you for taking the time to write what you did, and everyone else for their comments.

I shall make sure that I post this in our notice boards so all of our staff can read it, it's they who make it...

Thanks to all who value and buy our products, we appreciate and value your business.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thomas do you use direct lith with Ilford Multigrade or Lith redevlopment. As much as I like this paper I was never able to get it to lith.

Thanks
    Dominik

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin