Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,691   Online: 738

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

finding it hard to get deionised water!

All,
    I have just got back into developing films. Now I have my chemicals sorted , but when it comes to deionised (which working at a school I thought would be the least of my problems!), I am hitting a brick wall. The school I am at does not have any!!! They do not use any in the chem lessons (H&S has stopped a lot of experiments!!).
    So I thought ok I will buy some bottles of it. NOOOO! at £2.40 per litre bottle!!!
    So I am stuck for a cheap source of deionised water. Our tap water whilst not very hard does tend to leave calcium deposits on things.
    So ideas please?
    I don't really want to have to spend a lot for a filter system etc (no where to put it perm).
    I live in Cheshire UK so obviously there is no point in saying 'I get mine from walmart for 20cents a gal' lol
    Alan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use distilled if you must, but often tap water is just fine as long as no precipitate forms.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Distilled water is often available in stores. Deionized water is also sometimes sold as water for steam irons. You can also buy low volume water purifiers that produce deionized water. In many countries the Brita brand is popular and widely available. In any case, look for purifiers that have the purple deionizing resin filters rather than the simple black (carbon) or white filters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As a matter of curiosity, why would one use deionised water for mixing film developers?
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Do you have a branch of Halfords near you? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255205

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use a Brittax or similar water filter, that's enough for developers and cheap as well. We iuse them for drinking water atr home as well.

Deionised or distilled water is better for mixing developers from scratch particularly in hard water areas.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki View Post
    As a matter of curiosity, why would one use deionised water for mixing film developers?
    Yeah... what he said.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would have a look round the car assessory shops and small independent garages. I,found a local garage the cheapest at about £2.50 for five litres. The big flashy petrol stations and super stores all seemed much more expensive.

Tony

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki View Post
    I don't think the OP said what he was using this for, but if it is to be used in the mix I would ask the same question. However, dunking the film into deionised water for about 30 seconds after the wash will give you a film free of drying marks. I always do it. You can get this from any branch of Tesco/Morrison/Halfords.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow. In the US, lots of grocery stores have a refill station where you can bring your own jugs and fill them up with filtered drinking water. The ones at Whole Foods also have a de-ionized spout and it sells for the same price as the filtered water, $.40/gal.

I mix all my chemicals with de-ionized because I can get it so easily and cheaply, and I figure the consistency eliminates one more variable from a process that I can all too easily screw up.
    Last edited by pbromaghin; 07-30-2012 at 12:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin